I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Worms are good for you!
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.177.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2010 02:24PM

Richard, your point is well taken. How many fingernail clippings and layers of paint would it take to equal a one ounce weight added to the butt of a rod? Are we talking a difference of 10X, 100X, 1,000X? I'm guessing it's closer to 1,000X, which makes me suspect it would be about 1,000 times more productive to leave off that screw-in weight than to go through all that clipping and scrapeing. Of course, you could always pay three or four times as much for a rod blank with a weight reduction equal to that of one thorough session of paint scrapeing and fingernail clipping.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 03:28PM

Strange thought: Even when a blank is painted, the paint is on the outside only. In terms of sensitivity, wouldn't the sensitivity remain high if the paint were only removed from where the guide foot contacts the blank?
Sensations are transmitted to the blank through the guides via the line.
If you removed the paint from under the grip and real seat, it would seem that a good deal of sensitivity could be retained, even if the blank is painted. Sensations travel through the blank, not just across the exterior surface.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 05:21PM

Gary,
I have to respectfully dissagree. I believe that the paint would still cause at least some degree of loss in sensitivity due to the inherent mass of it. In other words a painted blank is going to be heavier vs. nonpainted.
Having said that, I still think we are talking about a matter of diminishing gains here.

Just my .02

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2010 06:11PM

Victor,
You are correct. Coatings are pretty dense so they drive up the mass density and that is the main affect they have on sensitivity. The density and the thickness of the coatings will vary but can be more significant than you might guess. I measured the weight of a Steelhead blank with and without a finish coating a few years ago and if my memory serves me correctly the difference was about 5%.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2010 08:20AM

Some things are of no consequence. Paint is not one of them. Particularly the lighter colors which have to be applied more thickly to create an opaque coating. They run from 3% to 7% of the total blank weight which is no small difference. Paint affects a blank's performance enough that on many rods you can indeed tell the difference in the hand between a painted model and the same model in unpainted form.

Blanks are painted for one reason and one reason only - to make them pretty. Painted blanks sell better because at the end of the day, the consumer still prefers "pretty."

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 19, 2010 09:54AM

I guess I was wrong. When we are talking about a 3%-7% increase in total weight on something as light as a rod blank then we are deffinitely not talking a matter of diminishing gains. I had never tried to strip the finish off one and weigh it. I will in the near future.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 19, 2010 07:07PM

I've always conjectured that paint also offers a tiny bit of protection to the bare blank when it comes to those tiny little knocks on long rods. I think they absorb a bit of shock that would go directly to the graphite fibers. Tom, do you think this is possible?

As to weight, for me personally, it is not just about sensitivity but also the pleasure of feeling a rig that just seem 'effortless'. Just played around with a rig that's 7.0 oz and one that is 7.6 oz. You would not think half a ounce makes much difference but I could really tell a difference. Both are balanced exactly the same. That lighter rig just felt a lot more 'WOW!!' when in hand.

Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 07:16PM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.180.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2010 12:24PM

I want to build a 6' casting rod to fish worms with no more than 1/16oz. of weight on #15 nylon monofilament, and this rod will be used with the lightest reel of the proper size available. I want to build this rod with the lightest blank, the lightest guides, and the lightest reelseat I can buy. About how much weight should I add to the butt of this rod to make it balance?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2010 09:39PM

Phil
That is something you cannot tell until you've built the rod. Even if you went with the lightest of every thing your build style ( how many wraps, how much or what type of epoxy or finish you use on your guides ECT.) would determine the final weight and therefore the amount of weight needed to balance the rod

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster