I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for ultralight spin/fly
Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2010 12:42PM

I'm thinking about building a ultra-ultralight spinning rod on a 6.5 ft 2 wt fly blank. It would be used more for spinning than for fly fishing. How many guides should I use, and how should they be placed?

I have only built fly rods before. Typically, I use the length of the rod plus 1 to determine the number of guides. The charts I have seen for spinning rods suggest that you typically use the length of the rod minus 1. Is this correct?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for ultralight spin/fly
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 01:03PM

reed this New Guide Concept: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2010 01:05PM

You need to use as many as needed. How many will depend on the length of the rod, the handle length and the action and power of the rod. Generally, if you were to use say, 7 guides plus a tiptop on that blank, you'd have enough for good stress distribution without having so many that you undermine the blank's response to any great degree. You can always try it with 1 less, or 1 more, just to see the difference.

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: January 14, 2010 04:04PM

Hi Curtis
On a 6 1/2 ft. rod I used 8+ tip top I think you will really like your selection for ultra lite . What blank are you using?

Have fun
Mike

Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 05:40PM

For a great ultra-light spin rod, you might consider 7 1/2 feet length. I used to hate ultralights until I did my 7 1/2 foot on a 3 weight fly blank. The extra length will cast and set the hook better than a 6 1/2 footer.

I set it up with concept system with 8 guides + tiptop, the last 4 guides being micros. If you want to pass knots through the guides I would not recommend micros. The concept guide system will tell you where to put your first running guide based on the reel you are designing around, and the stress testing of the rod will determine how many you use. The lower guides will be sized and placed by the concept system. I had to use tow different designs of lower guides to get the right height on the third guide.

It has proven to be a terrific rod, casts 1/8 Deep Tiny N's like a bullet, has handled fish up to 22 " walleye. No problem on hook sets at all.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.93.10.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 09:20PM

For a 6'6" 2 weight / ul spinning
6 guides total
Top two guides Recoil #2 single foot titanium distance from tip 3.7 ; 9.6
Next two guides Recoil #3 single foot titanium distance from tip 16.9 ; 26.0
Next guide #8 double foot Pac Bay Minima distance from tip 37.3
Next guide #12 double foot Pac Bay Minima distance from tip 51.3
Recoil std fly tip top, optional Tip top H&H std fly loop

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 02:11PM

Eugene,
I am just curious as to why you would recommend a double foot guide for an ultra light spinning rod. I have never found a good reason to use a double footed guide on any of the lighter action spinning guides and I would like to understand your logic.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: January 15, 2010 02:53PM

Curtis, There was a great article in Rodmaker not too long ago about building spin-fly rods.

If it were me, I would most definitely set up my guides via the NGC as outlined on the online library page here. Great article and that set up will work perfectly for either spinning or for your fly needs on the same rod. Wonderful and helps the rod to balance a little better as well.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.208.229.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 07:59PM

Rodger,
I prefer double foot guides on the butt half of the rod for durability.
The inertia in the butt half is low. The stress on the guide is much higher due to the stiffer butt on the rod and when hauling on a fly rod torsional loads can be quite high even on a 2 weight. When backcast room is at a premium an aggressive forward haul can double the casting distance without a long backcast. That haul can put a lot of torsion on the stripper guide.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 08:48PM

Eugene,
I read and understand your reason.

However, have you fished much with single footed spinning guides, and have found them lacking in durability?
I do agree that double footed guides are more durable, but I have simply never found single footed guides to actually lack any durability.

Take care
Roger

Date: January 16, 2010 09:19AM

Peter:

What back issue is that on the spin/fly rods

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: January 17, 2010 06:30AM

Issue 12 #3 Ive had it sitting on my bench for a while now, i want to try bulding one of these as a backpack rod. Lots of good info

Date: January 17, 2010 09:22AM

I have built one using scrap female sections in the handle and a male added to the blank butt. Wanted to see what the artical has in it

Just ordered it

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster