I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank straightness?
Posted by: Danny Condruti (---.sprint.com)
Date: January 14, 2010 11:56AM

Have checked a few blanks from different co. and all are somewhat with bends, curves, humps, etc. Is there any co. that makes straight blanks? or all of them are in this way. Would like to find blanks that are straight on all axis.

Please keep the internet green!
Recycle electrons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank straightness?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2010 12:44PM

Because of the way they're made, a perfectly straight rod blank is going to be very hard to come by. The thing is, an overall gentle bend does not in any way harm a blank or its performance. What you don't want is a sudden crook or dog leg at a definite point anywhere along the blank. If you get such a thing, return it.

Also keep in mind that with a perfectly straight rod blank, once you mount the guides, the rod will always have a droop to it when held in the standard fishing position. For this reason, many builders actually prefer a gentle overall curve or warp. They build on the straightest axis and the weight of the guides then brings the blank back to straight.

Posted by: Tom Ciannilli (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 01:03PM

I've only ever handled two Gatti blanks and both were perfectly straight. Since I can only judge by those two, I cannot say if it was a superior manufacturing process, superior materials, superior QC, or just a fluke.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 01:31PM

Roll the blank on a flat surface. mark when the blank tip sticks up. That is the top or 0 On spinning rods the guides go on the bottom of that, casting rods with guides on top they go on the mark.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Danny Condruti (---.sprint.com)
Date: January 14, 2010 11:58PM

Thanks guys. I guess I was expecting too much, a slightly curved blank should be OK.

Please keep the internet green!
Recycle electrons.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2010 11:52AM

I don't know... maybe I've just be lucky...

I put new guides on a 15 year old 6'6" castaway blank not long ago. When rotating on the dryer, if the guides had not been there, you would be hard pressed to detect that the rod was indeed rotating.

I have a brand new 8' blank that exibits the same traits... I sight down it and honest can not detect a bow, hook or curve in this blank.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: January 17, 2010 06:40AM

I put together a st croix 5'6" ultralite last year for myself. I had originally purchased it to build as a gift for my dad. It had a pretty good crook in it about 6 inches from the tip. I didnt want to use it for the gift rod, and with the cost in shipping a blank out to warrantee, i just decided to build it for myself. It was a compound curve off to the right and up. When rotating the blank to find the straightest axis the tip moves a good 1/2 inch. I put it so the tip was up, but that still left it curved to the right. Using 3.5mm fuji micros, it was very annoying trying to lign up the guides cause when they were straght, they werent in line. Anyway, the point of my story is it fishes just fine IMHO. Sitting in the shop it bothers me, not so much when in the boat, and i dont mind at all when it has a fish on. LOL Its a great little rod, i really like the way it fishes. So a little curve wouldnt scare me at all.

Posted by: Tom Locke (---.c3-0.wob-ubr2.sbo-wob.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: January 21, 2010 09:51PM

I have seen small waves in blanks that didn't bother me. I did get a Lamiglas blank that when loaded (spined) would not come back to straight. I had Lamiglas replace the blank and all 3 times the blanks I got had the same issue. I ended up just eating the cost as they would not refund only replace and I wasn't going to waste my time on that blank. Inshore Classic IC84MH and H.

Last time I will ever buy a Lamiglas product.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster