I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drilled Reel seats help?
Posted by: John Zarski (---.203.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2010 08:42AM

When you guys drill the holes in the sides of a reel seat, How do you manage to not get rod Bond on the area where the holes are. I am having a issue when I slide the seat over the arbors the rod bond gets on the blank and in the drilled holes so it looks bad. You can see the rod bond from the holes... Hope this makes sense

Thankx
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drilled Reel seats help?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 09:08AM

If this is putting on a new seat -- why are you drilling holes in it.

The arebor gets glued in the seat FIRST. When dry reamed to fit the blank.

Holes ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 09:16AM

I think he is talking about the holes in the sides of the reelseat. From the ones I have seen, it is not the blank itself that is showing through the holes but another decorative tube, so I would think it is glued into the reelseat first then the whole thing on the blank.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2010 09:17AM

Are you talking about seats such as the one on the last issue of RodMaker? If so I think I can help you.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 09:34AM

A window seat. I have not done one yet but I would think gluing the seat together cleaning off all excess. Let dry then put onto the blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 09:35AM

John,

I'm guessing that the arbor is cut into sections, reamed, and one section is glued in the front of the reel seat and another section is glued in the back of the reel seat. The location of your holes will determine how large of a section of arbor you can glue in (otherwise it will show through the holes). I've seen the seats done like this with the exposed blank left plain, tiger wraped, marbled- there's not shortage of ideas to choose from.

jeremy

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.sierrasystems.com)
Date: January 14, 2010 10:57AM

John:

Don't forget that you can colour RodBond with pigments. I did this in a exposed blank reelseat. After applying the reelseat with coloured RodBond, I cleaned up the cutout with Methyl Hydrate(Methanol), and it looked like the seat was a perfect fit with no glue lines.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 14, 2010 11:51AM

Tom; Could you elaborate a little as to how you did that , the one in the last issue of Rodmaker ? I really like the idea, looks great. I think that's the one John is talking about.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: January 14, 2010 01:45PM

Yes Tom, That is what I am talking about...

John

Date: January 14, 2010 02:21PM

Dry fit 2 arbors to the blank. The arbors should be short enough so that they won't show when the seat is mounted. Once you have them reamed/bored to fit each specific location on the blank, number them fore and aft, and then mount them in the appropriate positions inside the reel seat from either end. Just put a little epoxy inside the seat at either end and a little on the arbors themselves. Let cure and then mount the seat to the rod blank. This way no adhesive ever gets pushed into or past the side openings.

Date: January 14, 2010 05:30PM

I normanlly make my arbors out of masking tape..... So what do you suggest for an arbor becasue there is no way to mount the tape to the inside of the reel seat first????

Thankx John

Date: January 14, 2010 05:57PM

Move to the Flex Coat arbors, or the common brick foam arbors. I think once you try them you won't go back to masking tape.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 14, 2010 10:00PM

Thanks Tom, excellent idea. I like it.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster