I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Length of guide wraps
Posted by: brad baker (216.198.182.---)
Date: January 13, 2010 09:22PM

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice on the lenght of my guide wraps as compared to the size of each guide. Is there any rule of thumb or formula to determine how far you should take your under wraps past the guide feet? For example if I wrap 1 inch past the foot of the stripper guide, should I shorten the length of the next guide etc as they taper up? Obviously you don't want to leave them standard all the way up the blank to the tip do you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Length of guide wraps
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2010 09:27PM

DO what you want. What I do is measure a predetermined distance off the double leg side of a 2 foot guide - say 5mm. THenI measure the distance of the entire guide wrap on that foot, say 25mm. I then make sure the single leg side is 25mm. Several guides have longer feet on the 2 leg side than the 1 leg, and you will endup with unbalanced wraps if you got 5mm off each foot. Then again, that mightbe what you like.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 13, 2010 09:40PM

Over the years I have settled on just starting each wrap about 2mm off the end of the guide foot. I do this mainly to save weight but it does reduce your ability to express yourself in additional colors and trim wraps. At least on the guide wraps.

If you simply want to keep things looking good aesthetically, try starting a single mm off the end of the tip-most guide, then add a mm on each subsequent guide.

Posted by: brian neff (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2010 09:48PM

What Billy said.

Also, I find that things change depending on the diameter of the blank. I generally use 10 wraps, the metallic band, then the guide foot. But at the tip of the rod I find 10 wraps visually looks much, much longer than the 10 wraps on the stripper guides. So on the top guides I drop down to 5 wraps, the metallic band, then the guide foot so things 'look right.' And I do it because that looks best to me and nobody can make me do it their way. It's my custom rod.

Date: January 13, 2010 10:27PM

This particular rod is a 10' two-piece surf rod that has a pretty wide stripper guide. Is it easier or better to start at the tip and work towards the stripper guide? Like you guys mentioned to start and maybe add a mm each guide.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 05:33AM

After grinding my guides I measure the guide feet and lay-out my wraps on a index card,adding a predetermined amount of underwrap I then have a visual list of the wrap sizes

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: January 14, 2010 08:24AM

Brad, you basically have two main ways to go. Either you add the same amount extra on each guide....for example, take the guide and tape it to the blank and then put a 1/4" piece of tape at each end of the guide. The outside edges of the tape will be the ends of the underwrap. If you start the guide wrap an 1/8" from the guide foot that leaves an 1/8" of the underwrap as a trim band. Or.....you measure the width of the guide and make the underwrap a certain percentage larger. To me that is a lot more work. If I have a lot of the same size guides I just add the 1/4". If I have something closer to old "cone of flight" the percentage route looks better.

If you are going to do a lot of trim bands and such it might be best to start the layout from the tip. Do the smallest guide with as narrow a trim band as you can handle and then you have the ability to increase their width as the guides get bigger. If you start off with a five turn trim band on the butt guide you may find it a chore to make single turn bands on the guides near the tip.

Keep in mind what Billy said.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 09:55AM

The way I do this is to use a set of calipers. I set a distance from the end (tip/toe) of the largest guide foot that looks good to me (I know not very scientific) that will accommodate any trim bands or over wraps that I want to do. Lock the calipers and use the same distance from each successive guide foot. As the guides get smaller their "footprint" also shrinks and I am able to maintain a similar "pleasing" distance from the tip of each guide foot.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 12:40PM

Hi Brad,

I vary the lengths according to type of rod. I mean that I tend to use slightly longer lengths for heavier fiberglass/composite saltwater rods and shorter for graphite spin/casting etc. I also consider the diameter of the blank as well as the different guides being used. Foot lengths on most guide trains don't have a completely uniform reduction in the foot print per size. This means I may have to accommodate with slightly longer lengths to have the uniform "look" I want. I prefer a visual gradual taper down to the smaller size guides. This being said, in the '80's my wrap off the end of the guide foot was extremely long as was the trend on saltwater rods in those days. I suppose it's all personal preference but now I prefer the shortest possible wraps. It's good to keep in mind that shorter guides, shorter wraps, less physical weight w/less thread and epoxy can better preserve the blanks original action and recovery on lighter rods.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 12:04PM

I start from the tip of the rod after all spacing is done. I will wrap the first guide from the top. Then wrap the tip top minus several threads. This is for looks. less thread less finish, less weight. As i go down the rod I measure each wrap buy adding some distance using a compose, with a pointer on each end. Maybe 4-5 threads, depending on the looks and taper of the blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Re:Looking 4 me?
Posted by: Dave Dunlop (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: January 15, 2010 12:23PM

Brian-Son told me U were looking 4 me. Can contact me at carolanddave1@live.com. Dave Dunlop

Re: Re:Looking 4 me?
Date: January 16, 2010 07:42PM

Thanks guy's! All of you have very good responses.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster