I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Guides
Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: January 12, 2010 08:34PM

Hey all need some help on guides. What the differences in the American Tackle micro guides and the Pac Bay minima guides?
Do you use the same amount of small guides as you would the regular guides.
I am really dumb on this and would appreciate the help
Paul.

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2010 08:37PM

For starters, I believe one has ceramic rings (American Tackle) and one has hard chrome rings (Pacific Bay).

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 13, 2010 08:42AM

I have used a lot of micro guides in the past and I am building my first rod with Minima’s right now. The smallest Minima guide, the #4 fly guide has an inside diameter nearly as big as a normal #6 guide, but both the frame and ring are very lightweight. I will try to get some weight comparisons tonight to make sure but I believe they are nearly as light as some micro guides. True micro guides are very different, the rings ID is very small which in most cases is a plus, but on this rod I have to pass a knot between braid and a FC leader, which is a problem with very small rings so I am going to try the Minima guides.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2010 08:56AM

hay Mike:

If you can submit the weight numbers here it would be nice: [rodcomponents.koolhost.com]

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: January 13, 2010 09:28PM

On my scales the Minima #4 fly guides weigh .08 grams, compared to .06 for a #4 Alconite, and .05 for a #3 Batson.

The M or Match series Minima transition guides combined with the #4 fly series running guides makes a very nice layout, if I was building a spinning rod for the ICRBE casting contest I would look very hard at this combination.

Date: January 13, 2010 09:48PM

My weights show them (the Minimas) to be lighter. I'll re-weigh tomorrow just to check.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2010 10:08AM

If both your scales are right, then the scales have to be checked ??? Glade I did not run out and buy one.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 14, 2010 10:27AM

My scales are showing the Minima's to be only 2/3rds the weight of the others. I'll try to take a handful across the street to Valspar today and have them weighed on one of their lab scales.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 14, 2010 12:03PM

.08 is still pretty light, especially since the opening in the ring is closer to a #6 ceramic ring guide which is about 3 times that weight.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 10:28AM

If you make the comparison based on the size of the ring opening, the minima are about .8 lighter than a corresponding BLAG.

John
God bless the troops and USA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster