I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Non-Traditional fly rod thoughts/ Right vs Left hand RODS ?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: January 14, 2010 11:45AM

I doubt I am the only who got an email. To me the guy seems quite reasonable. He work speaks for itself. The recent thread on rod balancing makes the point that the "technically correct rod" might not be the one that catches the most fish. In short I think all sides could profit and I am sad to see a missed chance to bring another builder aboard.

One just came in and at his request I'll cut and paste the following. I hope this is not against any rules.

Now as far as the offset butt guides go, here is what I was going to post. " It makes no difference whether or not an individual can quantify the amount add to each cast because of offsetting the guides to the line hand. If it is only an inch added to every cast , then a fisherman that fishes 30 days a year and cast a 100 times in each day would have cast 3000 inches or 250 feet farther using my rod in that year. For sure, offsetting the butt guides slightly does not hamper the rod. I am a "CUSTOM ROD BUILDER" and I want to give my clients every possible advantage when purchasing my rods, even if it is only an inch per cast".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2010 12:41PM

Rob has removed the link to this gentleman's website so this can return to a civil discourse about the subject of guide number and sensitivity, not anything personal.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 05:02PM

Putting 15 guides on a 9 foot flyrod is as ridiculous as placing 25 on it. More guides=more thread=more epoxy=MORE WEIGHT. More weight is bad....very bad!

I see no benefit of casting a sum total of 250' more each year or the relevance of (1) more inch. I'm trying to understand the point...If off-set guides are such a selling point, have the individual turn the rod slighlty towards the line hand when casting.

Both ideas not very logical in my eyes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2010 06:47PM by Paul Rotkis.

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: January 17, 2010 02:45PM

He does have a point that 16 single foot guides only uses the same amount of thread and epoxy as 8 snake guides. So why would anyone use snake guides except for looks?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster