I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tax filing?
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (206.113.142.---)
Date: January 12, 2010 10:53AM

I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for, maybe I didn't type the words right or something. When ya'll do your tax returns, what forms do you use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tax filing?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2010 11:02AM

Depends on what you're doing. Income? Profit or Loss statement? FET?

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: January 12, 2010 11:47AM

I file a Schedule C for profit or loss, put that on my 1040 under additional income, or loss. and file away! The FET is a different matter altogether and gets filed quarterly.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: January 12, 2010 12:18PM

FET is a form 720. File one and they will come every quarter like clockwork!

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (206.113.142.---)
Date: January 12, 2010 01:47PM

It would be income and FET. So I guess I need a 720 and a Schedule C. Thanks for the responses.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: January 12, 2010 02:01PM

Are you talking about the Sportsman tax?

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2010 02:22PM

Here is a copy of the FET form 720.
[www.irs.gov]. Tom also has one on record in the Library.
The schedule c is also available on the internet, as other tax forms.
FET is due quarterly, so is due the end of the following month after qtr end.
I have a business, so handle it like other quarterly items. If you do it as a home business, check with your tax preparer.
A lot of us do this. We may do it as a pt business, or link it to another existing business. We do the sales taxes, per our states requirements. Same with payroll taxes, employee witholdings, unemployment, everything.
When a person does it as a business, there may be other requirements that local and state guidelines may require.
We will guide you to the forms, but the giving of tax instructions, and directions for filing are left up to tax experts. A lot of us that have businesses, do our own books, then forward to a tax person. when there is a business with employees especially, it is always nice to have 3rd party accounting involvement. They are the experts.
good luck!

Kyle Robinson

Posted by: Erik Osterby (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2010 03:49PM

Four hundred or more of profit on a Schedule C requires a Schedule SE to pay Self-Employment Tax. You may also need a Form 4562 for if you have any depreciable assets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2010 03:51PM by Erik Osterby.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2010 04:10PM

If a person is serious, there are a lot of catagories for expenses. Depreciations of assets is another. Supplies, advertising, a computer for information and web access, nad also for website design. I have had a couple businesses for about 12 yrs. We buy a new computer every 2 or 3 years. We have about a dozen catagories we track costs on. We also report all sales.
A business has to be legitimate to create this paperwork flow, up to and including tax prep, filing, and collecting. A person can have a sole prop. and include everything long with your regular income tax. This is what most folks do. you can creat a Corp, but no need to. No real liability here for damages. It would add a lot of extra $$ to your business venture. Now if you have a partner, it may be another idea for thought. Once again an, accountant and tax person would be a good suggestion.
These are not difficult items. Just very important if you start a business.
Everyone who owes one knows what it is like, and how to do it. Don't make the mistake some do. Decide to do it all, then give up, because it is not so easy. Then, it takes a few things to get out of it!

Kyle Robinson

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: January 12, 2010 05:33PM

I got audited last year. The emphasis was mostly on the home office. Their take was that any room claimed as a business expense MUST be used ONLY for business. The IRS eliminated the closets in two spare bedrooms that had business records stored there. Spent two and a half days with that auditor & they owed me $81.00. What a waste of everyone's time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster