I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: balanceing a rod question
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2010 06:09PM

Tom,

We are in complete agreement and that was the reason I added the following to my previous post...

"There are more variables at work than simple line tension and static weight of a rod and in some forms of bass fishing a balanced rig trumps line tension and weight(within reason), in regards to sensitivity"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2010 06:51PM

Tom,
You hit the nail right on the head!!

I think that we need another term about fishing rods besides sensitivity.

I think that we need a term like fish catching ability.

As several posts have mentioned above, one rod catches fish and one fish doesn't.

It really doesn't matter - if from a scientific standpoint if it is more sensitive or not.
The only thing that matters - is that for that particular fisherman for that particular technique - one rod catches more fish than a different rod - using the same technique.

If light weight is required, so be it. If a very stiff, or a very limber rod is required so be it. If heavy line is required, or very light line is required, so be it.
If a big reel, a little reel, big guides, little guides, few guides, or many guides are required to catch fish - so be it.

Just appreciate the fact that for one particular fisherman one rod catches many more fish than a different rod. Whether one calls it sensitivity, balance - or the "just right" factor - is really not important.

The important thing that as builders we can all build a better rod that is suited for a particular fisherman using a particular technique to put more fish in the boat.

Take care

Roger

Date: January 13, 2010 06:58PM

Mmmmm..... seems rods aren't the only things capable of being sensitive around here - not to mention unbalanced... Hey wait... that might be me! But I can feel my pulse and a tick on the other end of the line!!!! :>)

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2010 09:12PM

Doug & Roger,
We are not going to be able to build the best possible rods or improve the rods that we build unless we understand what the real variables are and we are not going to be able to have rational conversations about these variables unless we have a common understanding of what the words that we use mean. I do not actually believe that there is a problem with the words. I think that the meaning of the word sensitivity can be clear and straight forward and well understood. In fact, I believe that I can quantify it and even measure it. But if people attempt to include into the meaning of sensitivity subjective elements or anecdotal evidence then a rational discussion or quantifying it or measuring it is no longer possible. All that is then possible is to just throw nonsense at each other and I think that is where this discussion is now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 09:49PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: January 13, 2010 10:09PM

Mr. Harry...

If you wish only to conduct your testing and analysis in a lab that's fine by me. BUT... I happen to use my fishing rods in the real world and unfortunate as it may be... user input is required to catch fish. It would take more than a few hands full of fingers to count all the scientific "poofs"... I mean "Proofs" that have gone down in a flaming ball of failure as these "proofs" were applied. "Well it worked on paper....." Also unfortunate is the fact that without user input(subjective though it may be) there's wouldn't be more than a hand full of rods to cover all fishing possibilities. To discount subjective analysis as worthless is rather foolhardy in my opinion.

You can not measure nor quatifiy what I feel nor how I feel it. Nor can you quantifiy how I want to feel it. You may in fact be capable of recording those "after" I give you my subjective opinions. But the chances of you successfully building a rod for me that agrees with my personal style, method and desires in a particular rod, based on lab analysis, range between slim and none.

Date: January 13, 2010 11:22PM

Doug,
Frankly, the last thing in the world that I want to do is try to measure or quantify how you feel or attemp to quantify your subjective opinions. In fact, I think that it is a waste of time for us to discuss it any longer. If you want to discount any rational analysis or proof that is your business, your right.
Do you also believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus? I know where you can get some magic fufu dust that you can put on your rods to make them catch more fish? While you are at it you might try to put a little on your head as well.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2010 11:35PM

Emory,
I have read and understood all of your arguments. As I suspect that you are, I am also a well trained professional in the field. I do understand all of the variables of which you speak.

I think that the issue is that sometimes folks get all tied up in the use of a word, when mayby that is not really the word that should be used.

You talk about sensitivity. Sensitivity can really only be a factor to be measured, if there is something to sense, and if there is a means to convey that factor.

With a slack line, there is no connection to the rod that allows the factor to be sent to the rod. (I agree with your argument).

With respect to the other argument on feeling the tap on the slack line. I agree, but I also disagree with the statement. I often fish feeling the same slight tap on the "slack" line.
I think that the real issue, is the fact, that it is more than likely that when a tap is actually felt by a rod that is really very ( do I dare say it) very sensitive - that as the fish has taken the bait, the slack in the line has actually been removed enough, so that the tap is really NOT felt on a slack line, but actually on a tight line. I line can have a curve on the surface due to wind and or currents, but if the jig or bait is very very light, the line is still taunt enough to actually convey the vibrations of which Emory speaks.

Yes, if a heavy jig or lure is fished, then the line will be straight as it is fished to exhibit the character of a tight line. But in the case of a very light jig, the line can actually have an "apparent" slack character, but still be tight enough to convey the tiny vibrations of which Emory speaks.

Thanks again for every ones understanding and thoughts.

Be safe and catch a bunch. It is much more fun and ultimately more enjoyable than worrying about the semantics or the why of something works better than something else.

Take care
Roger

Date: January 14, 2010 12:26AM

Roger and Emory...

If you'll review my first post on this subject I'd ask you to note a few things.

1.) I never mentioned sensitivity
2.) I never suggested anything was felt on a slack line - I described it as semi-slack. For the line to truely be slack, in the strictest sense of the word, the rod and reel would have to be laying on the bottom of the lake along with the bait unless one was using floating line or netrual bouyancy line.
3.) I suggested what we were really feeling was line movement "...as the fish inhaled the bait."

Regardless... it appears this topic has taken on the tone of "Don't confuse me with the facts! I've already made up my mind!"

Emory... apparently you are an end user of fufu dust being aware of the source and such. Should the occasion ever arise that I wished to use some... maybe I'll just borrow some of yours before making a purchasing decision. Just depends on how I feel at the time - I"m sensitive about that sort of thing! Good day!

Date: January 14, 2010 11:27AM

Roger,
I am going to try to say this one more time. The sensitivity of a ROD or how well a ROD will transfer the energy in the fish's bite to the fisherman's hand can be measured and quantified. Once this energy gets to the fisherman's hand it becomes feel and is subjective and cannot be measured or quantified, at least not by me and I do not think by you either.
In my judgment this means that we have to restrict our discussions about sensitivity to the rod and not confuse the discussion by including fishing techniques or feel or anything that is inherently subjective.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.177.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2010 12:40PM

The handlining example was offered to suggest if "sensitivity" is your highest priority then forget "balance" and throw your rod away. If casting distance, ease, and accuracy is a high priority you will be obliged to make some concessions to balance; static or otherwise. In this imperfect world we are obliged to make compromises on most issues. Every aspect of a completed rod is the result of compromise, including the rod's weight, length, power, action, and "sensitivity."
We all strive to build the rod which most pleases its user, even though the specifications of the user often defy reality. If a user wants to add weight to a rod to gain the feeling of balance then so be it , even if the user paid a premium price for the lightest possible blank and rod building materials. Rodbuilders apparently disagree whether the definition of "sensitivity" is a subjective or an objective measurement. Rodbuilders who rely upon empiricism and physical science before beliefs and anecdotes will continue to object when physics and scientific measurement are dismissed or misrepresented in the practice of their craft. Subjective clients of rodbuilders will continue to insist upon a rod that "feels right," even if it defies Newton's laws of physics.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2010 08:33PM

Frank Downey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This may be a stupid question,but here goes.Where
> should a rod be balanced at?is it the center of
> the reel or at the foregrip?I would think it is at
> the reel,but I want to know from the
> experts.Thanks

Can we get back on topic. Frank's original question is fairly simple and has nothing to do with many of the recent replies.

Date: January 14, 2010 09:45PM

Robert - you are correct on all fronts.

Frank - To truely "balance" a rod/reel the balance fulcrum point would be at the location in the center of the palm of your hand supporting the weight. In the world of compromise that Robert addressed in the previous post - "perfect" balance as applied to a rod/reel is not really feasible. If you were to place any portion of the reel, with a standard baitcaster, forward of the fulcrom, balance point, the weight you would have to add would not be feasible. That said - the balance point most use is just forward of the reel at the location of the seat nut. A sponsor of this board has a tool for balancing rod/reels and there is a picture of the balance point I described.

Go here to see the rod balancing tool from Backlashtools.
[www.backlashtools.com]

Posted by: Jim Williams (---.dr02.shlw.az.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 15, 2010 01:52AM

For a fly rod.....With the rod balanced at the base of the high sign finger of my casting hand, with no line out and reel on....works for me. Carries easy for walking long distances, and I have no trouble casting with it that I know of. Works for me. I don't think an ounce or even 2 will matter much either way. Too far off and you get into the tip heavy or reel heavy area.

I actually balance my rods on a thin metal book end. I hang a plastic soda pop bottle cut in half, a hole punched on each side with twine to hang it with. I hang it off the exact center of the reel seat where the reel I will use WOULD BE. Yes, I mark both the grip and the reel seat with a pencil. I set the rod on the grip mark.....I fill the bottle with coins till I get balance, weigh it, and subtract 1.5 ounces to allow for the addition of the line weight when it will be added to the reel. I want a reel wgt to somewhat match the wgt that balanced minus the 1.5. But I only want to be in the ballpark. Not exackery spot on. Just a reference point to aim for. But that's just me. I KNOW the majority of the fly fishermen I know go for the lightest reel they can use on a rod. This is the balance point that seems to fit me...acceptable enough in all the areas.....to not skew it toward any one factor. I don't really care about all that technobable. I am with Roger Wilson on this. I want a rod easy to carry, cast, and fish with. I am not into long distance competition, maximum sensitivity or any of that jazz. Just a good fishing pole.

To each his own I think.

Jim

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.177.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2010 01:07PM

Jim, I agree. Perceived rod balance is purely subjective, has little to do with science or physics, and cannot be measured or described - except "It feels right to me." Fine. My only problem is the use of bogus science to justify personal taste.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster