I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

handles and reel seats for a very light fly rod
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2010 03:16AM

In follow up to an earlier post about optimum blanks for a 2 weight fly rod, 6 to 7 feet in length, I have turned my research to finding a light weight handle and reel seat option to build this rod. I am looking to either purchase, or if need be, fabricate a cork handle and reel seat that is more like the style found on very light 2 weight Orvis rods in the Helios or Trout Bum series. I am having trouble finding such items. What vendors make such components and where can I purchase them? I want this rod to be ultra-light in weight and very sensitive. Is it best to build a custom handle from cork rings? I am willing to consider a smaller uplocking reel seat with a wood insert or one with sliding rings. I just haven't been able find one. Your ideas and experience is much appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2010 03:16AM by Peter Chan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: handles and reel seats for a very light fly rod
Posted by: Paul Abbott (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2010 07:25AM

REC has many styles that would work for you and they are very attractive. They are a sponsor to the left. They have an all cork clide band seat that would very light weight. Combine with a short 6.5" cigar shaped handle and I don't think you could go wrong.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2010 08:16AM

Keep in mind that your hand will be the same size regardless of the size or weight of the rod. You also have to accommodate a certain size reel foot in whatever reel seat you choose. Don't make the mistake of buying or crafting a diminutive seat and grip in order to make things aesthetically pleasing to your eye, only to find out that you've given up the functional end of things.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 12, 2010 08:50AM

If you really want to go super light look into foam core-carbon skinned grip. It may not be acceptable to you aesthetically but it produces stunningly light grips.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2010 09:34AM

I would add that building a light rod is a "cumulative" process. It's an overall approach. For instance, using single foot guides, instead of traditional snakes will cut the number of thread wraps (and corresponding finish) in half. Consider using no CP, and finish the wraps with 3 coats of PermaGloss. Don't put on any decorative wraps. Drop the winding check. You can also split the reel seat, eliminating the weight of the insert. Get a 2 piece blank, instead of a 3 or 4 piece (ferrules definitely add some weight). Buy a blank with no finish on it...
Regarding the handle/seat area, weight added or subtracted here has the least effect on the rod, as opposed to, say, anything you might do to the tip section.
These are the kinds of things that I consider when I'm thinking about building a light rod.

Posted by: Dick Ross (204.9.111.---)
Date: January 12, 2010 11:49AM

I have built several lightweight (1-3 wt) rods using this handle from Netcraft. It is a one peice cork handle (split about 2" from butt), with slip rings.
[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

I replace the rings with accessory rings from places like Zany's.

I have copied it for people who want a "fancier" handle or a better grade of cork. The cork is not bad at all(as good as many of the "flor" rings you can get). The only thing I don't really like is it has a Al end cap that is not too neat. I replace it with one turned from wood.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2010 12:33PM

Dick,

What is Zany?
Your email is hidden.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2010 03:04PM

Try Anglers Workshop one of the sponsors on the left. They carry what your looking for.

Posted by: Dick Ross (204.9.111.---)
Date: January 12, 2010 04:31PM

I am probably spelling it wrong. It is a store that is setup for young adults and teenagers that sells different kinds of accessory jewelery, gag gifts, costumes and the likes. Spencers is a similar store. Look for things like thumb rings or big sized finger rings. You can find all sorts of cool designs to use. Thanks for telling me my e-mail was hidden it is no longer.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: January 13, 2010 01:12AM

As mentioned by Paul, the REC PLRN is what you are looking for:
[www.reelseats.com]

But also check out the PLRW. It is not much heavier and adds some nice burl wood to the equation:
[www.reelseats.com]

You might also consider the new Struble D-27 downlocking slide band seat. One of the prettiest on the market today:
[www.strublemfg.com]

Walt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 01:17AM by Walt Natzke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster