I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: maderia or gudebrod
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2010 02:03PM

Kirk every single rod I build that had CP on guide wraps had the epoxy cracking and flaking off in very short order. And even with CP I have a rod which still did the MAderia fisheye/valley/crater thing which resulted in a lumpy bumpy finish 4 coats later. for me it's not worth it, I can get teh same color range on my guide wraps with The NERBs thread, Fishhawk, or Gudebrod, as I can get with Madeira without the hassles of CP.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 12, 2010 02:18PM

Is the Pac Bay thread their own or made by one of these other companies?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: January 12, 2010 02:49PM

Thanks Billy, you are making me feel better for being too chicken to use CP:)

Do you double wrap guide wraps? If so is it for looks or strength? I've always just done a single wrap and gotten away with it.....well on big roller guides we did double/triple but that is it.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: January 12, 2010 05:27PM

I have used Guderod, Maderia, and FishHawk, plus some other dealer's own products. I like working with the Fishhawk, especially the metallics. Color is the main reason for using the Madiera. I find the Maderia harder to work with because of the coating on the thread but am starting to overcome the learning curve. My fishing buddies are looking for colors you just cannot find in the FHawk or Grod. I bought some Metro last night just because they were giving it away. (This could be one of those "you get what you pay for". We will see.....

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 12, 2010 07:29PM

I think Metro is trying to take some of the Madeira market. That price has been on their website for at least 6 months.

Typically, I use it for under wraps and decorative wraps, but I have had no issues with it as a guide wrap where I would use any other A weight thread.

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2010 10:56PM

Any one using Rod Smith thread from Pac Bay? - comments

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 13, 2010 10:09AM

I use madeira on underwraps for guides, but never for overwraps. The underwrap gets CP, then one coat of finish, then I overwrap it and finish normally. For ME this way works well using madeira underwraps. I cant say that I'm willing to put madeira on as a full guide wrap.

Gary I'll shoot you an email later about the metro.

Posted by: Jeff Mahnken (---.supptctr.clemson.edu)
Date: January 13, 2010 11:04AM

Luis, I start my wraps a little tighter Because the thread is slicker then ease up on it so I can pack it and burnish it with out any trouble. Like any thread you need to pay attention to how you pack the threads or You will see it when you hit it with epoxy.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster