I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do you think this Carbon Fiber grip was made?
Posted by: Brian Fleming (---.suckerpunch.com)
Date: January 07, 2010 12:25PM

I'm relatively new to rodmaking, but am gearing up for my first "big" project... Fetha Styx has a series of rods with a carbon fiber grip, shown here:

[www.fethastyx.com]

I'd like to work on something along these lines, and am curious how you all imagine this grip was built... I've only done cork handles, so this is a departure for me... I've seen two sets of information on carbon fiber handles, some with pre-fab carbon tubes, like these from Mudhole:

[www.mudhole.com]

The other approach is more custom, using composite sleeving, then building up the urethane finish yourself.

The Fetha Styx rod looks like it was done with tubing, I'm guessing over a foam inner sleeve? Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions on doing a similar construction project would be much appreciated...

B

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you think this Carbon Fiber grip was made?
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 07, 2010 12:32PM

Looks straight up Batson products to me...

[batsonenterprises.com]

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Brian Fleming (---.suckerpunch.com)
Date: January 07, 2010 12:37PM

FANTASTIC link. Had looked thru all the Rainshadow blanks, but had not seen their handles and foregrips! Thank you AD!

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 07, 2010 01:13PM

I like the foam core carbon skin grips a lot better. They are lighter and can be shaped anyway you want to make a more comfortable grip. After some initial startup costs the cost per grip is quite low and they are practically indestructible. Every personal rod I have built since this technique became known has had this style of grips.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: January 07, 2010 02:08PM

I agree with Mike. My clients tend to love them or hate them. I'm finding myself building a whole lot more of them though.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2010 02:13PM

Those appear to be straight taper carbon tubes. You can buy them or make your own, straight or in any size and shape you want, with the information in RodMaker Magazine's past articles.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2010 04:15PM

I'm with Alex and Mike. I built alot more of the carbon fiber formed grips than I want to. Same response as Alex also.... love/hate. Personally, I HATE making them...but they sell well, so what can you do.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: January 07, 2010 04:58PM

Scott made me one that I love

Thanks, Scott!

Posted by: Brian Fleming (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: January 08, 2010 01:29AM

Thank you all very much, much more to learn!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 09, 2010 09:45AM

It's the graphite tube you mentioned (twice the price it used to be), Batson foam trim plugs, 3 large foam arbors between the blank and grip. Batson aluminum fighting butt. Fished a rod from the company you mentioned built on the XST Batson blank, oversized guides/wraps, and their setup weighted a huge amount more than any rod I've built on the same blank, what a waste of a great blank. Top end rod built glass rod weight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster