I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micros on baitcasting questions
Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 10:21AM

Hi Folks, I am getting ready to put micro guides for the first time on a casting rod. I plan to use 4's. Should I use a couple #6 micros starting with the butt guide, then the #4's to the tip?

Second question for a 2nd rod-
Also, I am thinking of building a spiral wirh micros. Has anyone done this, and if so, what did you use for transition guides, or bumper if it was a simple spiral. I am getting brain-dead on how to lay out the butt guide, and the transition with the spiral. I wonder if I need a bigger butt guide, and transition guide, or guides, depending on wether I build it as a simple spiral, or use 2 transition guides, as I also have done. The micros look like the line may stay too clost to the blank making the transition. Maybe an #8 for the transition, or bumper guide, hard for me to tell.

I would sure appreciate some suggestions from you folks!
Thanks again,

Kyle Robinson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micros on baitcasting questions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 05, 2010 10:23AM

You don't want to go too small on the bumper guide ring size. It's important that it be low to the blank, but the ring itself should be large enough that any line path movement between the 1st and 2nd guide should not put any side load on the bumper guide, which can happen if you use a ring that is too small.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 10:29AM

When building all on top several very competent builders are using all the same size guides
Personally I build spirals.
On your spiral
6mm-5mm-4mm’s (or smaller) to the tip is my suggestion. And I don’t suggest a simple spiral.

Posted by: David Spence (---.nccourts.org)
Date: January 05, 2010 10:43AM

I built one with guides on top using all 3's per Bill Stevens advice-you won't believe how great that rod casts.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 11:18AM

For me it also depends on the application. For a moving bait rod with all the guides on top, use all 4mm. If it is going to be a rod for worms, jigs or other baits where the user may hold his finger on the line in front of the reel I use a double foot 6 for the first guide to get some extra height.

I have several simple spiral rods with micros for the bumper and they work great, but these are fast action rods that are quite stiff in the area of the transition. I use a double foot 6 for the first guide, 4 bumper, 5 single foot first 180º, and 4’s the rest of the way.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 12:30PM

I generally build all my baitcasting rods as spirals. I do what Steve suggests and do 6, 5, 4, for the transition, then 3s to the tip.

Either do a search and find Steve's method for spirals, or just ask him to e-mail it to you. IMO, it's the best option for a spiral with micro guides.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 02:53PM

pretty close to what steve mentioned - i use 6mm, 6mm 5mm for the bumper spiral. I use a doublefoot 6 for the butt guide, then singles the rest of the way. Don't see why you couldn't use a single six for the butt guide.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 02:55PM

I just finished a rod built for downrigging kokanee and will be starting another one soon. I used a Rainshadow RDR76L blank set it up with a TiCA Caimen DJ100 levelwind reel. I just goofed with the sizes and positioning and ended up using a double footed size 10 for the butt guide then a 5 for the bumper, 5 for transition and 4's on up to and including the tip top. This set up was suggested by Karry Batson but I had to get some extra micros and mess with it until I ultimately came back to his original set up anyway. Just had to satisfy my inner tinker-er I guess. This rod has exactly the action we wanted for downrigging for kokes, trout and macks but it wont see much if any casting. Seems like the 10 is bigger than most are using for butt guides but it works well the way this one is set up. I guess the only way to know for sure is to put the reel that you will be using on the rod and start playing with different sizes and locations based on reel size and blank action.

Having said that, micro guides can be a challenge to deal with during the set up stage but dont be for giving up until you are satisfied that its right! I spent nearly 3 hours tinkering with it and picking micro guides up off the floor which is a rediculous amount of time but I feel the results are worth the time and frustration.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 05:42PM

I'm another that is similar to Steve with my spirals, dbl 6, single 5, single 4 and 3s to the tip. I'll also use this layout all on top or all 4s on top depending on the application and customer.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 09:56PM

I’m not sure everyone realizes that guide sizes (I.D.s) vary considerably depending on the make. Giving a size alone is not very definitive.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 10:39PM

In my case
reffering to Batsons
But also using the 2.5 and 3mm's most of the time.
Sometimes 2mm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2010 10:41PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 06, 2010 10:03AM

The MICRO guides and tops present a MACRO problem for those who have not seen them or built and field tested rods. This very bright light is now shining directly in the faces of the production guys who have plans on bringing the micro rods to market in the near future.

The manufacturer should be included with sizing when asking/answering questions pertaining to micro guide choice.

What is at stake - footprint for secure attachment and wrapping considerations, guide height, total weight, ID of ring, thickness of ring, size of frame, ring material, ring attachment to frame, angle of repose ..... etc. All of these affect wind knot tangle, line touch, line choices, knot passage, configuration, total rod weight and yes even that word sensitivity.

If this is your first one be sure you got it right if ordering guides for a rod or get a wide selection and check them out yourself.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Ron Asker (---.lew.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 06, 2010 02:53PM

I used Batson BMKLG guides but they dont look like the ones pictured in the links. The butt guide is a XBLXNLG.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster