I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tom Kirkman
Posted by: Tom Wicker (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 04, 2010 08:48PM

Tom Kirkman
This post is in reference to an earlier post I was reading. I didn’t want to Hijack the mans thread and ask a question. The Thread was on the Tiger wrap, You made mention that the poster really should read the article in the Library. You further made mention of the top Thread was the deciding factor in the wraps color. Here is where I’m confused.

First let me say I have read any article I could get my hands on so me just being lazy is out of the question and before I fail in rod number three I figured my best bet was to ask questions. In the Article the second rod from the left (red Tiger Stripe) If I was to use NCP (A) black and white as my under wrap for some high contrast. And on my top finish wrap I use a Candy apple red would my finish results appear similar to that wrap? Or would the black show as dark areas in the wrap?

I look forward to being a future subscriber to the Magazine by the way
Regards
Tom Wicker

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tom Kirkman
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2010 09:03PM

I assume you're talking about the cover photo. The second rod from the left contains a base wrap of black and white. The top layer is scarlet red.

Notice that you do not see any black in the wrap - the overall color scheme is red. But you do see a high amount of contrast owing to the black and white underwrap.

Date: January 04, 2010 09:13PM

I thank you that pretty much sums it up for me.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: January 05, 2010 06:44AM

Ive got a question since this thread is about tigers ill throw it in. I have seen pictures where the tiger wrap changes color part way through the wrap. the one i am referring to was red silver and blue i believe. How do you do this?

Date: January 05, 2010 08:41AM

Changing the threads in the base layer will impart a different tint to the top, by a little at least. Or you can introduce a new thread into the top layer which will totally change the color from that point forward.

Date: January 05, 2010 09:43AM

would it help or hurt to apply CP to base coat.? I believe I'm getting it I can already see my strips starting

Date: January 05, 2010 10:00AM

If you're using regular nylon, you should put CP on the base layer if you want to maintain a vibrant, high contrast effect.

Date: January 05, 2010 10:03AM

thanks

Posted by: Bill Hartman (---.sub-75-206-121.myvzw.com)
Date: January 05, 2010 10:03PM

Painting the blank white where your wrap will be also make the wrap a little sharper.

Date: January 07, 2010 12:11AM

Tom am I to barnish the top wrap as I did the bottom to put some waves in it? Or just a normal barnish to tighten the gaps? This will be the last I bug you ;o)

Date: January 07, 2010 10:42AM

No, the top wrap should be very precisely spaced. Only burnish the bottom wrap out of place, not the top.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 07, 2010 11:00AM

The original Rodmaker articles on the process are in the Library at the top of this page!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 07, 2010 02:42PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, the top wrap should be very precisely spaced.
> Only burnish the bottom wrap out of place, not the
> top.
>
> ............

Thanks Mike for pointing that out to me. If you notice in my first post I'm asking these questions in reference to that article. I failed in three other tries, For some reason I just wasn't getting it right. I hope I didn't offend no one by me asking questions on it. It wasn't like I was lazy and didn't take the time to study up on the Tiger wrap I was just having trouble with it

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: January 07, 2010 03:31PM

This topic might be off limits here but.......when using mono on the top wrap is there also a normal colored thread used (on top) and are either removed?

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2010 12:18AM

Russell,

Though a similar process in part, what your discribing is a different wrap and no. No thread is used on top either as a spacer to be removed or the be left in place.
The top is entirely heavy test mono except for the tie-down wrap that secures the mono on the ends.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-183-1.myvzw.com)
Date: January 08, 2010 01:25AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Changing the threads in the base layer will impart
> a different tint to the top, by a little at least.
> Or you can introduce a new thread into the top
> layer which will totally change the color from
> that point forward.
>
> .................

Tom I believe it was the top layer that was changed as it was a very drastic color change not subtle as would be expected with bottom color change. The thing I can't figure out is how would you change colors without using the first thread to lock down the new color being introduced? From what I could see there was no transition, almost like the thread changed color. I'm not describing this well I know and for the life of me I can't find the picture anywhere darn it

Date: January 08, 2010 01:32AM

Varigated thread is a thread that is dyed in 2 or more colors. The length of color to color varies from inches to feet.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.mod.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: January 08, 2010 03:51AM

I found the pic, i had saved it to my computer. I dont know who did this or where i saw it, but i love this look and would like to know how to do this? Is it thread like raymond described above? I would think you would almost have to custom dye the thread to get the even spacing seen here. Anyway, anybody that could give me a hint i would appreciate it.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: January 08, 2010 05:11AM

That is a rod built by Randy Search.
He posts here at times and I wouldn't be surprised to find that pic in his gallery on the photo section here. He goes by Zombie on a couple other forums.

I've seen that rod in person and it is superbly one of the best I've seen.

Raymond Adams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2010 05:36AM by Raymond Adams.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-183-1.myvzw.com)
Date: January 08, 2010 03:11PM

Ray thanks for the info and the email. I think I just need to start experimenting. I would love to see that rod in person. I fell in love with the pic as soon as I saw it and have been wondering how he did it ever since.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster