I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

shorter 2 weight fly rod blanks
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2010 01:38AM

I am looking to build a shorter, light and sassy , 2 weight fly rod with more of a traditional action anywhere from 6 to just over 7 feet in length to fish for wild brook trout. I would like some opinions as to what are the best blanks for this project in a range from lower to higher price. I will consider 2 piece blanks, but would prefer 3 or 4 piece models. I have my eye on Cabelas PT+ 6' 6" 2 piece blank and TFOs Lefty Kreh Finesse Series 7' 3" 4 piece blank. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated for consideration. By the way, who makes the Cabelas PT+ blanks? Thanks all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: shorter 2 weight fly rod blanks
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 04, 2010 05:13AM

I just built a 6'6" 2wt Tiger Eye and I love the way it feels, although I have not fished it as of yet. It is a 4pc blank. Unhide your e-mail and I will try and send you a couple of photos of it later on today Ron

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: January 04, 2010 07:13AM

It's tough to beat the Batson Forecast Series 6'6", 4-piece, 2 weight especially considering its' very modest price. I've built several for customers who love them and one for myself. Dan Craft has several 3 piece models in the range you're looking for but I've never fished them.

Posted by: Tom Ciannilli (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2010 08:58AM

Pac Bay makes a 6’6” 2wt Tradition II that is a full flex rod. I built one for my wife and it’s very nice and very reasonably priced too. I believe they only make a 2-piece in that weight and length. Click on the link and click on “product data”.

[www.fishpacbay.com]

Good luck with any rod blank you choose.

Posted by: Eric Burkhart (64.66.97.---)
Date: January 04, 2010 09:14AM

I built the forcast 662-4 last winter, fine little rod, I have it overlined with 3dt line and action is very traditional in my view. I like a slower rod myself (more forgiving) have brought some nice little wild fish to hand with it and am thouroughly pleased.
breakdown length is 21" I believe.
my .02 Eric

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: January 04, 2010 09:34AM

I have to ask you guys, after 30+ years of fly fishing, I do not know what "traditional action" is. Is it another term for slow action? Just wondering!

Thanks,
Paul

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2010 12:21PM

The Batson Forecast RX6 6' 6" comes in both 2pc or 4pc and are excellent small fish rods. I have built one for myself and everyone who has either cast or fished it has ordered one from me for themselves....quite an endorsement!

They are also very economical.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.mghl.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 04, 2010 01:15PM

You might consider the Lamiglas fiberglass blank if you want a slower action. These are extremely light blanks and make a sweet rod. They don't have a 2wt, but the 3wt fiberglass action is wonderful.

Walt

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2010 02:02PM

i agree with the batson forecast 6'6". it is a nice rod and i have built several for the NC streams which are small. it is a great rod for this and have had no complaints

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 05, 2010 04:58AM

I agree with the others who recommended the Batson Forecast Series 6'6", 4-piece, 2 weight. It is a great rod for high lake Speckle Trout or a18 inch Cutthroat. It is also easy to carry in

Good Wraps Bob

Date: January 05, 2010 09:11PM

So is "traditional action" similar to a slow or med-fast? Come on you guys, help a brother out....

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 06, 2010 12:17AM

I believe a traditional rod is a slow action rod like a split bamboo rod is. In todays world with rods made out of graphite or glass. This type of action can not be achieved. So you have to look at the slowest action you can find. That means you have to find a rod that fits your needs. Each manufacture has their own definition of what slow is. I hope this helps

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.gc.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 06, 2010 12:45PM

"Traditional action" is normaly used to discribe a slower action full flex rod, the type used in presenting delicate dries. I would also look at the Lamiglas fiberglass fly 6'6" 2pc 3wt.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.210.165.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: January 06, 2010 06:29PM

Cabela's has an inexpensive blank in their IM7 series.
6'6" 2 piece 2 weight. Also available in kit form.

Date: January 06, 2010 09:17PM

Thats kind of what I thought...Thnak for the response you guys-much appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster