I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Orvis ZG Helios vs Sage ZXL
Posted by: brandon edwards (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 06:02PM

Anyone have any input on these two blanks? I'm looking at a 8'4" 2 weight in the Orvis blank and a 8'0" 2 weight in the Sage. They both look like outstanding rods, so I'm looking for some info here that might help me break my deadlock. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Orvis ZG Helios vs Sage ZXL
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 08:56PM

Go to a dealer or 2, and test cast them. Orvis will even give you a cap or t-shirt, just for trying the Helios.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2010 02:32AM

I did a head to head comparison between an Orvis Helios and a Sage SLT. Both were 9'- 4wt - 4 piece factory built rods. The ZXL replaced the SLT with a graphite scrim material making it lighter and thinner. I handled one later and found it to be a wonderful rod.

The Helios was definitely lighter than the Sage SLT.. but the ZXL is also lighter than the SLT. The Helios seems like an incredibly powerful and light rod. I could not have been more impressed with a graphite rod.The Helios I tried had the slower action. They offer two versions.

The only thing I will add is that I am spoiled now by bamboo fly rods. I am a die hard lover of slow to moderate actions and bamboo really excels in that realm. I might even sell my almost new Sage SLT as it just cannot compare to the pleasure of a quality bamboo rod.

Date: January 03, 2010 09:19AM

David,

I would be going with the mid flex 6.5- I'm building this rod to fish on mountain trout streams for native brookies where a delicate yet accurate cast is required at 10- 30 feet. I'm leaning toward the helios because it's 4" longer making it easier for me to keep more flyline off the water and I love daping with a nymph, the 8'4" length makes it easy.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2010 10:14AM

David,

Before you get rid of your Sage, try uplining it by 2 or even 3 line sizes - it will then start to feel much more like bamboo.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2010 02:40PM

Thanks Tom. I'll give that a try. I like using a 9 foot rod on occasion and bamboo is too heavy in that length.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: January 04, 2010 06:20PM

It that really a Helios blank or just a Zero G and where are you seeing this Helios blank? PM me if necessary

Date: January 25, 2010 07:58PM

Gary,

It's really a helios blank, coming from mudhole. I spoke with Scott @ mudhole this morning, told me it would be shipped in 3 days as it had been backordered.

Date: January 25, 2010 07:59PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster