I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Split reel seat - comfort?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2010 10:41AM

I dont care for the split spinning, the way I hold a spinning rod I like the seat.

On the split casting, I built two identical rods, both MH power mag bass blanks. I split the seat on one and not the other. After fishing the split seat rod, it ticked me off that I didn't split the other one. The blank contact is amazing, the sensitivity is outstanding. I don't understand the dis-comfort with the split seat at all. Even guys I hand the rod too for the 1st time and let them fish with it, all really like the feel of the split seat. I do round all the cut edges and make the seat "smooth" to your hands.

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: January 04, 2010 03:14PM

I think there was an article in rod maker last year or later that tom wrote regarding sensitivity and how it may be determined on an individual basis. To me, a rod that has a lot of flex can be just as sensitive as a rod that is rigid and has little flex. If I remember right, there was a point made in the article that a rod that is being used by a catfisherman on the bank would likely be considered more sensitive if the tip has a lot of flex allowing the bite to be seen in the rod rather than felt, as the rods are often left in rod holders while fishing for catfish from the bank and the need to feel bites isn't as necessary as say drop shotting for bass in 30+ feet of water. When ice fishing, I may use a spring bobber that allows me to detect bites that may go unfelt by hand. In this case, there are no detectable vibrations sent through the rod blank to the hand. Using an identical set up minus the spring bobber, the bites would not be felt. This is an instance where adding weight to the tip of a rod increases the sensitivity of the rod...devils advocate, I know. That being said, I prefer the lightest combo possible weight wise when fishing regardless of species or techinique, open water or ice.
just some more input to ponder on the thoughts on sensitivity...

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 04, 2010 03:34PM

I very much prefer spin rods for the pond and small lake bass/bluegill/crappie fishing I do up here in Iowa. I primarily fish from small boats and do tons of finess casting to cover by the bank. 6' and smaller med light rods are my preference and I have evolved to a Tenn handle split grip. The reel is attached close enough to for-side of the handle that the index of my 'two- fingers- in-front of the reel' touches the blank or line at will. This aides the sensitivity factor. The lightness of the Tenn/Split grip, simplicity of the build, reduction of cost, custom fitting of the reel attachment accomodating my two-fingers-in-front style makes the Tenn/ Split my handle of choice.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2010 07:20PM

Trinity,
I think that maybe before we can have a rational discussion about rod sensitivity we need to agree on a definition. Unless we have a common definition or at least understand how each other uses the word then exchange of information or a rational discussion is not possible.
I will argue that rod sensitivity is a function of how well a rod transmits to the fisherman's hand any energy that occurs at the tip of the rod. The fisherman detects this by the displacement or movement at his or her hand. It involves the fisherman's hand and no other of the fisherman's senses. It has nothing to do with his or her sense of vision or smell or taste or hearing. It only involves the sense of feel.
I will certainly agree that a fish's bite can be detected by the movement of the tip of the rod or by the movement of a bobber but I will agrue that has nothing to do with the rods sensitivity. If you want to use movement of the tip of the rod as a definition that will mean that the more flexible the rod is the more sensitivity it has. Flexing of a rod requires energy. That energy is momentarily stored in the rod and therefore does not immediately get to the fisherman's hand. So the stiffer a rod is, for a given mass, the better it will transmit vibrations to the fisherman's hand or the more sensitive it is. From this I think that you can see that your use of the word sensitivity is in direct conflict with how I am using the word and from how I think that it has been used in the past.

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.redlake.k12.mn.us)
Date: January 05, 2010 10:55AM

Yeah, I was just playing devil's advocate, and agree that a less flexible blank will deifnitely transmit vibrations better than a soft noodle of a blank. However, the ability to detect a strike is what determines the sensitivity of a rod is it not? Therefore, at some times, as I stated above, a more flexible rod may be deemed more sensitive than a rod that doesn't flex much at all...

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster