I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread size & finish cracking
Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.sonoco.com)
Date: December 31, 2009 04:03PM

I build a lot of spinning rods for myself, family and friends. Moslty 6'6" & 7' medium to med-light, fast action (6 - 12) line for bass.

I used to always use size "A" thread for wrapping guides until the finish on the guide feet (single foot guides) started cracking at the end of the foot. This occurred mostly on the first and second guides up from the reel (#30, #25 or 20 sizes).

So I started using size "D' thread on alll guides a few years back and it eliminated this cracking (except after a few years of use I see some on my rods).
I do prep my guide feet well, similar to pictures shown on posts here and down to a "knife edge".
I use high build flex coat with no CP, usually (2) coats.

What caused the cracking and why did the "D" size cure my problems?
Does it hold the guides tighter? Allow for a thicker overall finish?

I'm looking to start building with the smaller micro style guides and would most likely have to switch back to "A" for those for overall weight reduction. I know I should use "A" for all guides but I don't want this problem to reoccur.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread size & finish cracking
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2009 04:10PM

The D thread didn't really cure anything other than making the cracking harder to see. It may reduce this problem a little, but it won't eliminate it. A stiff guide foot on a flexible rod blank causes the cracking as the guide resists the blank's attempt to flex it under the clamp of the thread. The thread is the weak link in the chain and when it stretches a small crack or check will appear in the finish. This is more common on the more highly flexible portions of the rod than on areas where there is less flex.

There are really only 2 things you can do in order to reduce the tendency of the finish to crack. First, is to grind the guide foot to a very shallow taper which makes it a tad more flexible. The second thing, and one which you can't always do, is to wrap with a great deal more tension which clamps the guide foot tighter to the rod blank, preventing any movement or lifting of the guide. But that much tension isn't good for the rod blank.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 02:48PM

I have found that using size D thread on heavy offshore rods will actually make the cracking worse. I have switched up and gone to 3 layers of "A" thread for better finish perfusion.

Kevin

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 04:06PM

Steven,
You say that the cracking is occurring at the end of the guide foot.
Which end of the foot. i.e. the ring end of the foot, or the non ring end of the foot.

If it is at the ring end of the foot, you might add a locking wrap to your guide to further stabilize the guide at that end.

Or, if it is at the non ring end of the foot, do as Tom suggested, and thin the entire length of the foot - with a sander or grinder to make the foot more flexible.

Remember, you are only trying to hold about 10 lbs of pressure, so that there is no need for a very thick foot on the guides. Just use common sense if you do this to not weaken it too much.

If you decide to go this route, take some old guides and try thinning the guides to various amounts and check their bending and breaking strength.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster