I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

unique grips
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.178.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2009 12:00PM

Have any of you advanced builders experimented with asymetric grips shaped specifically to conform to the hand of an individual user? Do the inherent limitations of such a grip outweigh the advantages an asymmetric grip might provide? I won't get out the rifflers without an encouraging report.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: unique grips
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: December 31, 2009 12:21PM

Ya know, I have been intrigued for the past 3 days with the handle on my wife's new hairbrush. It is one of those conair soft gel handle brushes. It would seem that it is a rather firm silicone around the handle that acts like memory foam and is comfortable. While it may not fit the mold of what you are inquiring about, it would be very cool to see something like this made for fishing. I may end up buying two brushes and try to steal the handles off them to put them on a spinning rod, to see how it works and if they would hold up.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 12:38PM

One idea is there is a Tool Handle Dip that may work for coating handles ?? Maybe at Home Depot

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2009 12:49PM

Rodmaker Volume 10 #3 covered this item in depth.

RodMaker Volume 12 #5 had instructions on how to turn an oval, rather than round, grip. In some situations there is an advantage with something other than a round grip. If it allows you to exert more force against twist, with less effort, then it can be worthwhile.

As far as things like finger swells or cuts, many fishermen report them feeling great at first, but then being less than great as they attempt to move their hand on the grip over the course of a long fishing day.

Consider the shape of a standard wooden hammer handle - it's the product of hundreds of years of use and allows for great twist control with little effort and also allows for various hand positions as needed. Regardless of the surface finish, it never gets slippery or hard to hold onto.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 31, 2009 01:39PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One idea is there is a Tool Handle Dip that may
> work for coating handles ?? Maybe at Home Depot

Bill, I used that for a few rods , its called plasti dip.
Comes in spray or brush/dip on.
A few primary colors available too.The dips mix OK and you can blend your own shades.The brush on you just keep painting onto the side you want the bulge every 15 to 30 minutes and it gets as big as you want.
Great grip surface unless you are using cut bait then its very slippery. Unfortunately my application often was for cut bait rods. I went back to Ozite carpeting for that application, no amount of fish slime gets that slipping.
The smell of an ozite handle after a season of use is a whole other story.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 02:49PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
>
> As far as things like finger swells or cuts, many
> fishermen report them feeling great at first, but
> then being less than great as they attempt to move
> their hand on the grip over the course of a long
> fishing day.

Dale Clemens said the very same thing. As the day progresses one will change grip positions every so slightly so different mussles are used
to grip the rod. If you restrict that movement with finger notches & cut-outs fatigue happens quickly and can even lead to mussle cramping.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: December 31, 2009 02:54PM

Isn't there a television show called Unique Grips? Oh, wait, thatn's Unique Whips......

**Warning: This message may contain language that is new-aged and may be unknown to some.....aged.....folks**

Happy new year folks :)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 01, 2010 08:20AM

I had a guy come in with one of those Fuji ACS casting grips. He had me grind the grip smooth.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2010 03:05AM

Andrew Metzger Wrote:
> Ya know, I have been intrigued for the past 3 days
> with the handle on my wife's new hairbrush. It is
> one of those conair soft gel handle brushes. It
> would seem that it is a rather firm silicone
> around the handle that acts like memory foam and
> is comfortable. While it may not fit the mold of
> what you are inquiring about, it would be very
> cool to see something like this made for fishing.
> I may end up buying two brushes and try to steal
> the handles off them to put them on a spinning
> rod, to see how it works and if they would hold
> up.

It's been done at least twice. Here's one of them.

[www.bigbearfishingrods.com]

Lance

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster