I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which adhesive?
Posted by: Jeff Leonard (---.lightspeed.caryil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 10:27AM

I have been trying to glue up a handle which includes aluminum trim rings and poker chip trim rings, the adhesive used is rod bond. The bond between the aluminum and poker chip has failed for the third time. I have properly cleaned the surfaces and even drilled small holes in both with no success. I am at a loss on what to do.

Jeff Leonard

Muskyfsh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which adhesive?
Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2009 10:35AM

Jeff, I believe our Ultimat Gel 15min will do the job for you. Give me a call and lets talk. Scott

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 31, 2009 10:42AM

Which piece is it separating from, the Aluminum or the Poker Chip ? You have to sand, rough up, the surfaces of each before they will bond, especially plastic material, which is petroleum based . You may have to put a ring of cork between the Alum. and Plastic to get a bond and the little holes you drilled are a must in my opinion. I think Rod Bond is going to be the best epoxy to use.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 11:13AM

There may be more to bonding dissimilar surfaces than most think:

Jay is correct about the Rod Bond - take a look - [vetteworks.tripod.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2009 11:50AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2009 11:17AM

The adhesive didn't fail - the bond did.

Never rough up the surfaces beyond a good scouring/deglossing. Deep scratches and grooves actually weaken the bond. Clean and then scour with Scotchbrite.

Some plastics are difficult to bond to. Hard plastic chips aren't generally one of those, however. When side of the adhesive is not bonding - the side to the aluminum or the side to the plastic?

Date: December 31, 2009 11:34AM

I have to agree with you Tom, the adhesive did not fail it is the bond. The adhesive appears to have bonded with the aluminum but not with the plastic. Both had been deglossed with 400 grit paper. Thanks for your replies gentleman.

Jeff Leonard

Muskyfsh

Date: December 31, 2009 11:39AM

This may be a dumb question on my part but, is the poker chip flat or shaped in some way (indented, etc.)?

Date: December 31, 2009 11:53AM

No telling what was used to "coat the chip" - I would almost bet a surface mold release agent is on the surface preventing bond.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 12:04PM

There may also be a silicone element in the plastic to make it slide across the table easier. Is it a professional Vegas chip or a home style or worse the real inexpensive type from Wallly world.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 31, 2009 12:15PM

It is really hard get a bond to plastic from my experience, aluminum, no problem. No , the adhesive did not fail. The bonding surface is what gave way. I'm wondering about a cleaning solution such as Vinegar. I know Vinegar is used to "bonderize" galvanized metal before paint will adhere. Bill has probably had some experience with this also.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: December 31, 2009 12:15PM

I am expecting MJ to issure an official proclamantion from the All In World!

Date: December 31, 2009 12:50PM

Some of the professional type chips are made from a type of clay. It's the home or hobby chips that tend be more plastic.

Date: December 31, 2009 12:58PM

Gentleman,

These chips are sanded smooth to remove the decorated faces and I have used them in the past with cork and wood without problems. Jay, I will give the vinegar a shot. There must be a contamination of some sort working here, quite possible a small speck of wax from the mandrel getting into the bond. Thanks for the help.

Jeff Leonard

Muskyfsh

Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2010 10:53AM

Jeff, I had the same problem with aluminum to cork. I attributed the failure to heat generated from sanding or cutting the spinning aluminum. Ultimate Gel and a slow-n-easy approach worked for me.

Tom White
Rod & Reel Restoration

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster