I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
12-6 Rodmaker magazine
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:38PM

Has anyone received the 12-6 issue or is it to early?

Roger,
Greensboro, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12-6 Rodmaker magazine
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:43PM

Are we allowed to post about the articles? TOm did an amazing job on the broken rod article, it shoudl be available as sometihng a tackle ship can order and post in their shop. That is the best article I've read in any of the magazines, it's something I feel like I have to study so it becomes ingrained in my head.

Posted by: Kenneth W Price (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:47PM

Yep I received mine the other day. and I would like to take the time here to give Tom a ( High Five ) on the artical on page 10 on rod Failure.. as we swapped several emails last evening about the artical.

Its got to be the best I've ever read on the subject and with the Pic's to back it up. Again Tom Thumbs up!! Great one..Kenny

Posted by: Shane Pierson (---.static.blackfoot.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:48PM

I think some have received them but I know I am still waiting on mine so I would think its still a bit early.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:49PM

I have mine.

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:51PM

Maybe i'll get mine tomorrow.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:54PM

I agree with Billy! Posted below in reference to it the other day

[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 10:14PM

Got mine and agree with all the posts, the article on the causes of rod breakage is outstanding! I like Billy also would like to see it put into a format that us custom rod builders could use in our shops with customers. Maybe a few page folder or even a poster showing the breaks and bullet point causes. Just an idea. I many of us will be willing to pay for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 10:16PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Mark Pearson (206.53.147.---)
Date: December 30, 2009 11:36PM

I hope to receive mine soon. The article on rod breakage sounds great.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (198.217.64.---)
Date: December 31, 2009 03:39AM

got mine yesterday, and i think it is the best issue i have read. Very informative good job tom

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2009 08:46AM

It's being delivered to most right now - holiday mail slows things a little.

Once I get the newest issue finished up, I may consider taking the above idea and creating some sort of single page "quick start" guide or something with the basic photos and causes of breakage. I'd have to leave out all the background information but you already have that in the article. I'll kick it around and see what I can do. It wouldn't be hard to publish a one or two page spread of that sort of thing in an upcoming issue.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 09:19AM

Tom i would certainly pay for a "quick start" guide. I haven't received mine yet but am looking forward to the article

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 09:35AM

I am glad I preordered 24 additional copies -

They will be included in the Warranty Packages with the Rod Care Issue to new customer Bassin Bubba Rod Busters!

Posted by: Eric Burkhart (64.66.97.---)
Date: December 31, 2009 09:45AM

I was a new subscriber and received mine 12/23 great magazine. Already looking forward to next issue.
thanks Eric

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 10:35AM

I have had a rod that broke when I high sticked it. It was my fault but the break did not look like what you showed in the artifcle. It was long and splintery with long jagged edges that look more like what you show for crushing. Could this be because of the type of rod blank was different than the ones you used in the pictures?

Date: December 31, 2009 10:52AM

The pieces of the puzzle are in front of you. If you read the article you should be able to easily piece them together.

If you take a sound rod blank and simply high stick it until it breaks (harder to do than you might imagine), the break will not exhibit much in the way of splintering. It will more closely resemble that of a standard overload failure, appearing mostly clean albeit with some amount of distress of the inside and outside of the blank at the area of the break.

Now here’s exactly what happened to your rod, guaranteed - prior to the high sticking episode that resulted in failure, your rod was exposed to some sort of light crushing force in the upper half of its length. It wouldn’t have been enough to cause immediate breakage but it was enough to cause some minor lengthwise fractures in that area. While it might have held up for a bit, and even during casting, retrieving or perhaps the proper fighting and landing of a fish, the instant you put it into a serious high stick situation, that prior crush damage in the area of the high stick reared its head and resulted in the rod failing.

Figuring out rod breakage is like putting a puzzle together. Sometimes the damage is enough to cause immediate breakage, but other times the damage is minor and only rears its head when it is then combined with another misuse or abuse of the rod. You can read more about combination failures in the first paragraph of page 15.

The thing is, each type of break or failure is so consistent and so repeatable, that you can count on the appearance of nearly any break to lead you to the correct conclusion provided you can put a couple pieces of a puzzle together. One of the things I did before publishing the article was to make sure that breakage was not haphazard. In other words, the reason I broke so many rod blanks (over 200) was to ensure that each particular type of abuse or misuse resulted in a specific type of appearance at the break. In 95+ percent of the cases, it does.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: December 31, 2009 11:15AM

The article was outstanding. I particularly liked the addition of the quiz. That kind of stuff really helps solidify what you are learning.

-----------------
AD

Date: December 31, 2009 11:17AM

Except that I put the answers on page 36 instead of 34 as the article stated. Oh well, I hope most found it.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 12:11PM

Will some of these broken blanks be labeled and displayed at the Expo?? Would make for an interesting display. Although I imagine it would be a chore to set up with all the other things you are already doing.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: December 31, 2009 12:51PM

They're all in a big box in a tangled mess. But I had planned to bring some for any that had use for the dead bodies.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster