I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cedar rings in place of cork?
Posted by: Shane Pierson (216.14.251.---)
Date: December 30, 2009 05:39PM

Im not sure if it was on this site or somewhere else but I once saw someone use a hole saw and drill some cedar rings out of some bark and glue them up into a handle. (I believe it was cedar) Does anyone know how well these hold up compared to cork? I know they sure looked good. Im just concerned about the life expectancy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cedar rings in place of cork?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2009 05:43PM

Cedar should withstand the elements extremely well, but it's going to be considerably more heavy than cork. I'm talking the wood, of course, I can't really advise you on the bark itself.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 05:55PM

I'm not sure of the type of cedar to which you refer. I am familiar with aromatic red cedar, the type used for lining cedar chests. I can't imagine the bark of that tree being used as a handle material. The wood, on the other hand, is gorgeous.

I often use a ring of cherry or birdseye maple as the bottom (butt cap) ring on a spinning rod. With 3 coats of poly urethane, it holds up extremely well.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: December 30, 2009 06:27PM

Perhaps it was this post on using Red Fir bark?
[rodbuilding.org]

Here is a link to the photos:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Looks pretty good!
Walt

Posted by: Steve Kolb (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 08:20PM

I made a handle of walnut and red cedar rings for a float rod a while back. Not sure if it's the handle you saw or not. Here is a link to the pic.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

edit to add: totally forgot your question. The handle has held up well. It is comfortable and durable and not that heavy at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 08:22PM by Steve Kolb.

Posted by: Shane Pierson (---.static.blackfoot.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:46PM

Walts post is the one I was refering to. I have been searching through the photos all day for that.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 12:56AM

if cedar is used to keep moths away, what affect would a cedar grip have while fly fishing???

sorry...

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 07:21AM

WOW!! A joke on fly fishermen. lol. I like that.

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: December 31, 2009 09:07AM

I have made several rods with eastern cedar wood handles, I've used rings and turned solid handles on my lathe,either method works but the wood is very fragile and a good solid finish has to be used. I favor 3 coats of permagloss, this gives it a tough enough finish to withstand the fishing elements. I have also used this wood for fly reel inserts using the same techniques.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 09:23AM

It keeps the Flys away ??? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Shane Pierson (---.static.blackfoot.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 04:26PM

I was able to contact Ron thanks to Walt finding the post I was looking for and he had the info I needed. What a great bunch of guys this site is made up of. Thanks a bunch everyone. And thanks to Ron for taking the time to answer my emails.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster