I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st time builder - Dan Craft Blanks in Eastern PA?
Posted by: steve bridges (---.15.29.60.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 05:38PM

Hello! Been reading this forum for a while. I finally registered because I'm about to build my first rod. I've been looking at the Dan Craft blanks and they've been highly recommended but I'd love to find one nearby to cast. Hate to buy a rod without casting it. That's what makes me nervous about building.

While i have dozens of fishing rods - spinning rods and conventional surf rods mostly, I only have had one fly rod for the past 11 years - a custom 8'6" 4wt with a moderate action (don't know the blank - bought it from a local shop - i'm guessing its a batson though). Its a bit too slow for my style of fishing - 75% nymphing - some streamers, and some dries when i can't resist the risers. I do a lot of short rollcasting, high stick nymphing etc - but i want a rod that isn't pigeon-hold as I can't afford to have one rod for each application!

I want a rod that is more sensitive for nymphing, faster action, give me the ability to fish some bigger water (delaware, lehigh, possible trip out west) yet also present a dry fly when needed and not so stiff that it doesn't protect 7x tippet if needed and still make the small trout fun on the streams i usually fish (little lehigh, monacacy, various wild trout streams).

I'm located in eastern pa - in the lehigh valley area. Anyone have a Dan Craft blank to cast nearby? I'm interested in 9' 5wts. would like to try any of the following: signature V, FT, FTL, and FTXL 5 wts so I at least have a reference point.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st time builder - Dan Craft Blanks in Eastern PA?
Posted by: Stan Grace (174.44.170.---)
Date: December 31, 2009 10:53AM

If Dan has an FT902-4 still available you can get it at a discount as he is phasing them out and will be carrying the FT904-4 as the lightest blank in that line. There is actually very little difference between them. The main reason for diiscontinuing the 2 and 3 weight in that series. The Ft's are the fastest actioned and most versatile rods that he now carries. The FT904-4 in that series is one of my favorites for nymph fishing using a 6 weight Rio Nymph line. I have a FT902-4 also and it handles a 5 weight line well.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: steve bridges (---.15.29.60.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 03, 2010 12:09PM

I just casted a bunch of rods (have a friend with over 30 rods) - rod i liked best was a 9ft 5wt Sage XP. Guess the question is - which dan craft blank would be closest to that action/feel? I've tried comparing the CCS data, but i just don't trust it - there are 3 FT 4wt entries all with very different numbers, and there are 2 FT 5wt entries with different numbers.

Besides - even if the numbers were consistant , i'm not sure i could translate those numbers to the "feel" i have when casting.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: January 04, 2010 04:10AM

Based on the CCS numbers that Dan has listed on his website the closest to the 9ft 5wt Sage XP would probably be the new 9ft 5wt FTXL model but it hasn't been out for very long so I doubt you will find too much feedback on them yet.According to Dan's measurements they have very similar CCS numbers to the XP's and old GLX's and will probably be as light or lighter in weight.If you have never held a Dan Craft SIG V or FTL in your hand before you will be pleasantly surprised with how light weight and crisp they are.I have a old 3pc 9ft 9wt and it's lighter than most 9ft 5wt blanks I've compared it to.

I will say this,I have a few XP's and a bunch of Dan's older 3pc 9ft 5wt SIG V's(plus several FT's and FTL's) and while the 3pc SIG V's weren't quite as much of a tip flex blank as the XP(the SIG V's AA'a were usually in the mid 60's I think while the XP's tended to be in the high 60's to 70),to my hands the SIG V's felt lighter weight and slightly faster recovery.I know the new SIG V's have similar actions to the old ones,but they are lower in power so to get a similar rod to the old 3pc version one would probably need to go up a line weight when choosing a SIG V blank.

The FT's are both much faster and much more powerful than either of the SIG V's but are not as light weight.They are a very versatile blank but very different from the SIG V or the Sage XP.

Personally I think the new FTXL sounds like the perfect fit between the current line of SIG V's and the 9ft FT's in power and action and that it would be as close to the XP as you could probably hope for.I wouldn't hesitate to buy one(I plan to as soon as I can afford one) as I have no doubt that it will be a great blank(all of Dan's blanks are),that said,if the XP really has you hooked and it feels like your perfect rod,I would shop around a bit and try to find one.They are discontinued and most are probably long gone but they still pop up on @#$%& sites every now and then and I'm sure some shops out there must have the odd one left.The 9ft 5wt was probably their most popular rod so it may be hard to find one.Then again most distributors probably had a good number of them in stock so who knows.

Another couple of options you might want to look at are the Rainshadow RX8+ and the blanks by CTS.I have no experience with them but others rave about them.They may have something very similar to a XP(it's worth a look).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2010 04:21AM by Tony Dowson.

Posted by: steve bridges (74.11.241.---)
Date: January 04, 2010 01:19PM

Thanks for the info Tony!

Posted by: Tony Scott (74.116.156.---)
Date: August 01, 2011 01:16PM

Has anyone actually built an FTXL?

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2020 04:20PM

Hi, Tony.

I know it has been a long time since you had this conversation, but I have a 10 weight FTXL and even Dan Craft himself does not have any experience with this particular weight. Would you say the FTXL is "true to weight"? Dan Craft said use a line that weighs more to the "higher end" (of the 10 weight slot).

Thanks,

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster