I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Whose New Concept system?
Posted by: robert smith (---.deliveryexpress.info)
Date: December 30, 2009 02:14PM

in the thread below about steelhead rods Tom mentions his New Concept System. I have seen in other places on the internet where other rod builders have noted that Tom is not the one that actually came up with the system. They say it was Fuji and some have proven with older literature that it WAS Fuji that came up with the system. Where oh where has honesty gone in todays rod building world........

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Whose New Concept system?
Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: December 30, 2009 02:21PM

It is my understanding that Fuji makes Concept guides, but Tom introduced the Concept SYSTEM of guide placement (which can use any type of guide).

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2009 02:27PM

"Robert,"

I have written no less than 4 articles on the Concept System since the mid 1990’s. The first ran in an issue of the old Rodcrafter’s Journal and 2 others subsequently appeared in RodMaker Magazine. The book I wrote for Amato Publications contained a chapter on the concept. At no time in any of those articles did I claim to have originated the “New Guide Concept” nor take credit for it in any way. I always credited Fuji.

Take a look at the online glossary here on this forum. I wrote and installed it here back in 2002. Pay particular attention to the entry “New Guide Concept.” You’ll see that I credited Fuji for it then and that was 8 years ago.

The folks that say I stole the idea or have taken credit for it have either not read the articles or are pushing their same tired, ill-founded agenda.

All I have done is provide a method that makes it easy to set up the system in an interactive fashion without the use of a generic chart, so that each set-up is tailored to the specific rod/reel/line assembly. The concept itself remains Fuji’s and I have pointed this out numerous times over the past 15 years. The proof is in the articles, the book and the glossary, if you'll only take the time to look for yourself.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 06:32PM

Honesty may have gone the same place as "jumping to faulty conclusions and false accusations " has gone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 06:33PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: December 31, 2009 11:10AM

Tom, I am glad you have thick skin, and I am sure that most of the other members on this forum feel the same. Keep doing what you do, as you do it very well. I have been a member on here for only a year, but I have read about everything there is to read here. Love the library and all of its info. You have always done things first class. Giving credit where it is due.
Keep up the good work.

Kyle Robinson

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 09:04AM

Tom just took Fuji's system and made it better and easier to use.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster