I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Yet another thread tension question....
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:51AM

I've seen a couple of questions recently on thread tension, or threads relating to tension. Got to thinking about how to setup and wrap double foot guides. Just want to get some clarification. I have a very very hard time moving my double foot guides when both feet are wrapped. Am I possibly using too much tension? I normally will wrap the foot towards the butt and after I get all the guides on with at least one foot wrapped, I'll line them up and move them around before wrapping the other foot. Once both feet are wrapped, I can't move them around. Does anyone have a better way or am I doing this properly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yet another thread tension question....
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:55AM

It won't hurt you to back off on the tension just a hair. If the guide foot is flat to the blank, and your thread tension is correct, you will still be able to slightly shift the guide with some firm pressure on the side of the guide ring. If you can't shift it, or you find that you actually bend the frame when trying to shift it, you're probably a bit tight on your thread tension.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: December 30, 2009 10:02AM

Even for double foot guides?

Posted by: brian neff (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 10:31AM

I openly concede that there is more than one way to skin a cat, or wrap a guide. I've wrapped a fair number of blanks (well over 100) and broke one because of too much tension. My feeling (and I'm sure some may disagree) is that it's hard to wrap one too loose. Ever hear of a guide failure because it was wrapped too loose? Me neither. For cosmetic purposes, you're not too loose until you can't get the threads to stack up nicely with your burnishing tool. On double foot guides, I consider it 'normal tension' to have to 'ratchet' the guide around the blank to align them - first wiggle one foot a bit in the direction you want to go, then hold that foot there and wiggle the second foot over, hold that and wiggle the first... you get the point. Double foot guides require a bit of patience to align. If you do wrap too loose, you may also discover new gaps in the thread after you align the guides. You can either spend extra time w/ the burnishing tool or just cut the wrap off and increase the tension a bit. If you go at it the other way around, you can break a blank. Also note that tension gets exaggerated the smaller the blank diameter, read: toward the top. And guides that I have seen aren't convex enough to match the tiny diameter of a blank tip. Visualize a snake guide on a fly rod for an extreme example. So I feel that tension on the tip is far more likely to cause a problem than at the butt.

Wrapping on a wrapping machine, I run the thread between my thumb and forefinger while applying firm pressure. I may go tighter at the beginning of the wrap to get the strands of my decorative bands to hold tight, but when I'm on the guide foot, just firm pressure w/ my thumb & forefinger. That's it.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:45PM

I PREFER double-foot guides to single foots for this reason: when you tweak the position of a double foot, the guide ring remains aligned with the center line of the blank. I just put the side of the ring against the surface of my workbench, hold the rod in front of and behind the guide between my thumb and index finger, and apply just enough downward pressure to move the guide.
When you tweak the alignment of a single foot, the tendency is for the ring to move off the center line of the rod, angling to one side or the other.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 09:37AM

On stubborn guides I wet my fingers and push the foot with my thumb . Almost like trying to turn the thread with the guide. Maybe the saliva helps to lubricate .

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster