I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forhan Locking Wrap - Quick question
Posted by: Bob Scacheri (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 07:04PM

After my informal poll here last week, it seems the Forhan is the way to go. I have viewed the photos/description in the Library and still have a question.

After placing blocking wrap #1, I understand you go around the guide leg one time. Next, do you go around the blank again, then around the guide leg again (and repeat for a total of three) OR do you go around the guide leg three times in a row without going back to the blank, and then finish up on the blank?

My hunch is it is the former. This would put about 6-7 wraps on the blank "above" the guide (in the blocking position - correct?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forhan Locking Wrap - Quick question
Posted by: Harold Dean (68.182.133.---)
Date: December 29, 2009 07:15PM

Yes the former. Around the guide once and then the blank. Then the guide again then the blank and do this one last time. (three times in total) I put my tie off thread in before I start the forhan wraps and then make one last blank wrap after the final forhan wrap and then tie it off.

cheers
Harold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2009 11:04PM by Harold Dean.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 07:55PM

No not "6 or 7 wraps! When you go around the guide, you then go around the blank back to the guide for the second locking wrap and so forth.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 08:14PM

check this out [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 10:18PM

Find some good pics of how the epoxy is laid over the wraps. This is key. You want the epoxy to seal, lock and hold your wraps tightly in place. You want to keep the wraps tightly packed together. Flow the epoxy around the wraps good, sealing from the top, down into the space between the locking wraps and the guide well.

Kyle Robinson

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 29, 2009 10:28PM

Bob;
After you complete the Forhan wrap. Look at the guide from the tip end of the rod. You should see the Forhan Wraps making a figure 8 pattern between the guide leg and the blank. If you don't see those threads crossing each other, making that figure 8 pattern, you did it wrong. Got to bring the thread around the blank once behind the guide leg,( that's the first bocking wrap 360 deg) then under the leg, up over the leg, then under the leg (360 deg around the leg) before continuing on around the blank the same direction as the first blocking wrap. Go around the leg 3 times like that then 2 more blocking wraps around the blank and tie off. You have made 3 Locking Wraps and 3 Blocking Wraps.
It's a little tricky until you get one made correctly, then it's a snap.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:05AM

Bob - which size guides and manufacturer - thread size ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 09:06AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 10:43AM

Perhaps I am just not visual enough. I have looked at the instructions a dozen times and still can't figure it out. Fortunately I have someone close by who has volunteered to SHOW me how to do this wrap.
Headed to Google Video to see if there is a video posted of doing this wrap. That would do the trick for me.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2009 11:39AM

Assuming that you are warping the single foot guide from left to right with the thread coming over the top of the blank.

When you start the Forhan locking wrap place one security wrap around the blank in front of the guide and then on the next wrap place the thread in front of the guide foot and then bring it immediately back over the guide ring/foot and then back in front of the guide and back around the blank. Do this 3 times for 3 locking wraps and then 2 more wraps in front of the guide foot with the last 2 security wraps around the blank only. I find that for me when I am applying the locking wraps that I use a rocking motion of the blank with the left hand while holding the thread with the right hand. By a rocking motion I mean that I move the guide back and forth as I place the thread around the guide foot. Hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2009 01:10PM by Dave Wylie.

Date: December 30, 2009 12:08PM

Try to visualize this ( not trying to get nasty ) With the foot facing to the left - you wrap over the foot up to the post that holds the ring. Now go to the right of the ring and wrap once around the blank, when you come around to the ring again, go to the right past the ring, now push the thread to the left -behind- the ring, around it bringing it towards you, back to the right of the ring. Now go around the blank. One locking wrap. Back to the right of the ring, past, push the thread to the left, around the post again then around the blank Two wraps. Now one more and then several wraps around the blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 12:13PM

Bill,
Excellent description!

Remember, the Forhan locking wrap is clearly defined by Mr. Forhan.

However, you can make any variation to that wrap and still have a locking wrap that may suit you better and or may be more or less effective.

You can use a single locking wrap, and one guide wrap, a double locking wrap and a double or triple or quad guide wrap.

It is really up to you.

Make the wrap that does the job for you and serves its purpose. Mr. Forhan has defined and described an excellent wrap that is used by many many rod builders.

However, if you like a different wrap that does the job - go for it.

You might find an even better wrap. If you do, please share it with the rest of us.

Take care
Roger

Date: December 30, 2009 01:04PM

Roger:

I was trying to wrap in my mind as I was typing. Guess I am not as senile as I thought ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.153.8.61.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 03:17PM

There are several articles and tutorials around but the 1 in the library here with several photos by the man that came up with this is pretty much as good as you are gonna find.

Posted by: Bob Scacheri (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 04:24PM

Thanks for all the replies. I just tried it, and it was a piece of cake. Using Gudebrod A and Fuji guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster