I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt wraps for a fly rod
Posted by: Ron Beloff (164.234.1.---)
Date: December 29, 2009 02:39PM

Getting ready to start building another fly rod and want to do some fancy thread on this one. Looking at Clemens "Custom Rod Threat Art", the pattern "Jets" by George Patic caught my eye. Has any one wrapped a fly rod with this pattern?

Are there any other patterns that would work on a fly rod due to the small diameter? Most of the patterns I've viewed work best on med-large diameter blanks...

Thanks

Ron B

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt wraps for a fly rod
Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 05:07PM

do you have some sort of a reference link , i cant find any thing here as what it might look like.

my next rod will be a fly rod and sounded like i'd like to look at yours or at least the wrap.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2009 05:21PM

If you're building for customers, you'll eventually find that most fly fishermen do not like decorative butt wraps. Don't ask me why - most simply don't. But there are other things you can do in that same area that they seem to go bonkers over.

Here is one idea:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 07:42PM

Tom is correct, most fly fishermen do not care for "bling" on their rod, in fact a lot do not even want CP on the wraps! . They may go for a creative grip of cork, woods , burl etc. and some feather inlays.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 09:49PM

Tom,
I don't care how many times I see that inlay it always impresses me.

What is that winding check made out of?

Vic

Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.disa.mil)
Date: December 30, 2009 07:52AM

Tom et al,

Those feather inlays look great! That's just what I will do... I took a fly tying class last month and it looks like I'll be picking up another addictive hobby!

Ron B

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2009 08:45AM

Victor,

It's some type of either very hard acrylic or "tru-stone" material. Somebody had given me some material left over from a bar countertop and I cut and turned it from that.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:19AM

Ron, just posted a few pics of eye candy on a pair of fly rods I made for some hunting buddies. Snake skin, Holo Tiger wraps, Feathered epoxy ramp, burl-cork-checker handle. They add nominal weight to the butt and definitely custom the rod for folks. Also have hook/silver chain inlay on the end piece.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 09:27AM

Depending on your skill level, you can put more complex wraps on small diameter blanks. This pattern is a 3D Star: [www.rodbuilding.org] If you look closely, you see I had to use quite a bit of epoxy to cover the wrap, whic looks a bit out of place on a fly rod.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 07:49PM

The only limit on what you can put on a rod is your patience. I just finished Billy V's Star wrap on a 7wt. [www.rodbuilding.org]
You need to be careful on the spacing, but it can be done. I also just finished a simple St Johns Cross on a smaller spinning rod. Let me tell you that one wasn't so simple. But that is how you learn. If you mess it up hopefully you figure it out Before the finish goes on........lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster