I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Extra Fast Action Spinning Rod Blanks?
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 10:23PM

Any recommendations for some M and ML spinning rod blanks in the 6'8" to 6'9" range with extra fast actions? These will be used primarily for fishing 1/16 - 3/8oz jigs in current so good sensitivity is must. I like St. Croix's actions, but don't appreciate the pricing on their blanks so I would like some other options. Something at least as sensitive as an SCIII, and maybe more in the SCV range for sensitivity?

I've been following the board for about a year now and have learned a lot and am looking forward to building some rods again. I've been looking around a lot and haven't seen many Extra Fast blanks available in these lengths, so some suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2009 10:24PM by Dan Ertz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extra Fast Action Spinning Rod Blanks?
Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: December 28, 2009 10:44PM

Dan...take a look at the batson RX7 ISB822.5 and the ISB802.75...one is 6'10" ...one is 6'8"...both have a fast tip and are med power...we have both in stock and ready to ship... check them out here [www.midwestrodandreel.com]

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 11:11PM

I 2nd Bills comments on the Batson ISB802 and ISB822.
I have built several rods on these blanks and find that these are some of the fastest tips on the blank market.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.sffl.va.charter.com)
Date: December 28, 2009 11:43PM

Both of those Batson blanks are excellent. If you want to fish down to 1/16 the 822.5 would be the better choice, it is a good bit less powerful than the 802.75.

Another great choice is the Lamiglas XMG popping blanks, they are not like normal moderate action popping blanks but are extremely fast actions, the LP842 would be excellent for what you want to do.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2009 09:37AM

Extending a fast action 6' or 6'6" blank by just a few inches will result in an extra fast action.

Date: December 29, 2009 01:20PM

Thanks for the replies.

The Batson blanks recommended sound good, and I had been eyeing them. It sounds like Batson's "fast" action blanks are closer to most rods "extra fast?"

While "sensitivity" is subjective, I've heard the RX7 blanks being compared to SC Avids. Does that seem about right?

The RX8 and RX8+ blanks sound like they're even more sensitive than the RX7's. In general, what line of St. Croix blanks would you compare them to?

I'll also take a look at the Lamiglas blank recommended by Mike, and will keep in mind Tom's suggestion of extending a shorter blank.

Thanks again for all the great info and ideas!

Dan

Posted by: David Spence (---.nccourts.org)
Date: December 29, 2009 02:06PM

I have "horsed" in some large stingrays on the ISB721. Obviously not my fish of choice, but they put more pressure on a rod than anything their size. I can vouch for the strength of that series of rods. I could easily land a 30-inch redfish on that rod.

Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 06:50PM

I would recommend the Batson RX8 XSB 822.5. I would compare it to SCIV from St Croix.

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 05:43AM

Per Bill's suggestion, my friends and I used the ISB822.5 last fall fishing for river walleyes and were very pleased with it. If I can talk my wife into it the XSB may be my next build.
Steve

Date: December 30, 2009 04:14PM

I am leaning toward the Batson RX8 XSB 822.5. Now it's a matter of picking a reel seat, guides, etc.

Steve, you said you and your friends liked the ISB822.5 for walleyes. Pitching jigs for walleyes and smallmouth is what I plan to use this rod for along with some drift fishing. How do you use your rod - for pitching jigs, vertical jigging, etc? I see this blank is often used for "dropshot" rods, and I was wondering how it is as a spinning rod for cast and retrieve presentations?

Thanks again to everyone for all the great suggestions and information!

Dan

Date: December 30, 2009 06:08PM

All of our fishing was vertical jigging in heavy current. We were fishing the tail waters on the Mississippi. Very good for feeling the slightest tick of the walleye.
I am sorry I never used for anything else....shoulders shot so can't cast anyway!
Steve

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2009 06:28PM

Dan,

I built my RX8+S822.5 for swimming 1/8-1.4oz jig and grubs, and it performs great! It is the best I've found for casting 1/8oz. buzzbaits, works well for finesse fishing, some topwater duty and weightless plastics. It is one of the most versatile blanks I use. You won't be disappointed.

Joe

Date: January 01, 2010 12:10PM

Thanks Steve and Joe. The rods you built sound great, and it sounds like they do a lot of things very well.

A couple of questions.

What reels did you pair these rods with?

Do you use mono or braid with these blanks?

I planned to build the rod for use with 8lb mono for pitching to rocky areas in current, and need the rod to be Extra Fast reacting to avoid being constantly snagged - it's really frustrating to use a "Fast" rod that lets the jig sink into the rocks when I know that I would likely have pulled it clear with my Crucial 6'8" XF rod. Mono gives me the "sink rate" needed for the baits, but I Fireline is an option.

Thanks again.

Dan

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2010 08:16AM

I have built two rods on the Baston ISB822.5 blank for bass fishing with finesse style presentations such as 1/8 ounce jigs, wacky rigs and shakey head fishing. This blank has a great tip, can feel the bites down deep and has enough backbone to set the hook on deep fish but enough tip action to feel the bites and not rip the light wire hooks out of the fishes mouth. I have used the following:

* Fuji Soft TOuch reel seat with Baston VS guides (zirconium rings) - Black EVA grips and butt from Swampland (cut and shaped down) - drop shot hook keeper

* AERO Comfort Reel Seat (awesome) - with custom made rear cork grip from Swampland for the AERO grip - removed locking nut from AERO grip and added a FUJI Quick Lock Reel Seat Locking Nut and reamed out a piece of EVA grip and fitted over locking nut to hide the threads and create better comfort and look - butt end was a combo of EVA and cork to go along with the look of the rod - dropshot hook keeper and Titanium VS Guides - also used red Mataji winding checks to finish the foam and cork ends

These rods are super light - if you want I will post some pictures. The second rod is a beauty - the AERO comfort grip is a really nice feature with this rod, but alot depends on your grip and how you hold the reel. Also neither of these rods as a foregrip longer than a 1/2", which I think makes them even lighter and extends their sensitivity. Let me know I will post some pics

Date: January 02, 2010 12:08PM

Thanks Jay, I would like to see photos of the rods - they both sound GREAT.

I've been considering the AERO comfort grip and am glad you posted about that. I have fairly large hands, and I usually grip spinning rods with the reel foot between my middle and ring finger - do you think that seat be a good match for me?

I like your idea of the modified locking nut with EVA over the threads. I would guess that this is similar to to a Fuji Concealed Hood spinning handle where the front grip twists to remove the reel?

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rods.

Dan

Date: January 03, 2010 09:58AM

I also used the AERO Comfort Reel Seat. Its great and really comfortable in cold weather. I would like to to see Jays photos too.

I used a 1000 series spinning reel spooled with 6lb Crystal Fireline. Our fishing is not fancy, just straight up and down.

steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster