I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Line class rating
Posted by: brian neff (---.144.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2009 05:10PM

I have always wondered what 'line class' a blank labeled for use with 15-25 pound line is. Is it 25 pound (the 'maximum recommended)? 15 pound (the minimum recommended)? or 20 pound (the 'sweet spot' between maximum & minimum)?

In other words, would a "15-25 pound line" blank be most similar to an IGFA 15/20/25 pound line class blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Line class rating
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2009 05:25PM

Not really, no. The manufacturer is simply listing a range of line test that he feels coincides with the power of the blank and what it would most likely be used for. You can certainly use less. Using more, however, could put you beyond the design limits of the rod, i.e. the rod then becomes the weak link in the chain if you use the rated line break strength on a steady pull against the deadlift limit of the blank.

IGFA rods are rated according to class line usage. You will find many blanks that might be rated, say, 20lb to 40lb line that won't be anywhere near as powerful as an IGFA 30lb class blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 05:59PM

I think you are better off looking at the lure rating. That is what you mainly want the blank to do -- throw a certain weight lure. I always try to get my weighting into the middle of the range -- the sweat spot .

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 28, 2009 06:02PM

Thanks Tom.
So I suppose there are quite a few assumptions that go into the range of lines that the manufacturer 'rates' their blank for. For one, that the reel drag you use is some (unstated) percentage of the line breaking strength. And maybe (another unstated assumption) that you are using stretchy mono instead of rigid braid.

So maybe another way of thinking of it is, regardless of the line being used, using a drag setting more than x% of the blank's maximum line rating makes the blank the weak link (?). So if you wanted to play it really safe with fighting big fish, you could use overly heavy braid, a nice thick leader, and drag of x% of the blank rating.

Posted by: Stuart Klose (---.lns20.per2.internode.on.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 09:50PM

What is a good general rule for drag % on a blank. I have been recommending with my builds that the user should not exceed 50% of the blank weight rating for their drag setting. Any thoughts?

Stu Klose
RapidFire Rods

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 09:55PM

Here's a link to line and lure ratings on the Lamiglas site:

[www.lamiglas.com]

Don

Don Becker

Date: December 29, 2009 12:22AM

Stuart, I hear between 1/5 and 1/3 of the line's rated breaking strength. Some guys set the strike drag lower or higher than what they use to fight the fish. My rule is to not touch the drag until the fish is boatside and then I loosen it waaay up. (I'm landing small tuna, decent mackerel & maybe wahoo on a kayak & don't want any surprises).

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2009 11:01AM

I'm out of the norm in most cases where I fish 50-75% of the breaking strength of the line (In order to do this, you HAVE to know and trust your knots, tackle, and ability with a rod). My 4# test rod is very often a 10-17# blank. For example, I use a 2.5# weight to determine my 4# outfit. I start at a 12-25# blank and work my way down until I feel the rod is close to being compromised. At that point that is the rod I want. My 10# outfit is done in similar fashion with a 15-30# blank being the starting point. I also use higher end reels capable of this torture (and it is torture for reels to fish like this). If you plan on doing this, keep in mind as the spool gets smaller, drag increases, so I am adjusting the spool very often with some larger fish on lighter tackle.

That said, MOST who fish an 8-15# will be fishing 10-12# on it and will max their drag out around 2#. Many anglers have no idea just how much pressure you can put on line, then there is the other side of the equation, those who do not know what a drag is, but the spool spins and they think it shouldn't.

Posted by: brian neff (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2009 11:22PM

Wow, that IS out of the norm. 4# line on a 10-17# blank. Going for a line class record?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2009 10:04AM

Brian, I think it is a reflection of the type of fish we have here. A lot of them are speedy top water fighters. If you can follow them you can do well with light gear.

Sean is correct in stating that far too few take the time to get a scale and see where line/knots/blanks fail. Also few seem to have an idea of how much drag they can fish. A good example is the guy with 40-60# gear with the rod butt under his armpit.

Date: December 30, 2009 10:43AM

<<<Sean is correct in stating that far too few take the time to get a scale and see where line/knots/blanks fail.>>>

True that. I'm temporarily in exile from my Caribbean home and stuck in lower Michigan. I'm actually testing knots, swivels, lines, etc for a post on my kayak fishing board. I'm also building a pair of new rods and maybe upping the size of my reels. When I get back down I'll have 100% confidence in my setup.

If you want to blow a few minutes, here is a VERY interesting article from Sport Fishing magazine. They test knots & lines w/ some surprising results. Ever wonder what the actual breaking strength of Berkley Fireline 20 pound test is? 58 pounds on average according to the article. Wonder what the strongest terminal connection is? Definitely the double palomar. And not all Bimini Twists are created equal.

Date: December 30, 2009 10:44AM

opps, here's the link.
[www.sportfishingmag.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster