I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dropping Guides to Save Weight??
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 27, 2009 10:14PM

Was looking at a high end factory spinning rod, Med power, very fast action - only flexed in the upper 1/4 of the blank under heavy load. They had guides spaced no more than 8" appart all the way to the butt guide.

I find on the stiff section of a rod the guides don't need to be that close together, resulting in using fewer guides which = less weight. I can see no benefit to the extra guides on the portion of rod that does not flex.

Kinda has me thinking, how far appart can we space guides on the section of the blank that has little to no flex? On a lot of rods today, we may be able to drop one to three guides and save a lot of weight.

Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Marc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2009 08:17AM by marc morrone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too Many Guides????
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2009 10:52PM

Lots of info on the forum on guide spacing. Most of the static measurement processes will put fewer guides on the butt section because the blank flexes less there. So, you're right, if they are 8" apart at the butt, it's not needed. Although, more guides in the butt section have less effect than more guides in the tip section. Equal spacing of 8" tip to butt would put the tip section at some risk for too few guides in that area.

Probably some marketing idea to get a different look. Certainly wasn't done for performance reasons.

Terry

Re: Too Many Guides????
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 08:45AM

You could bring a line with you and right in the store do a static test on the rod to see how the line looks and how it follows the blank, especially at the tip.

Bill - willierods.com

Re: Dropping Guides to Save Weight??
Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 28, 2009 10:05AM

All those guides are there to make the rod better at catching. Unfortunately, better at catching anglers and not fish. As Terry noted, it's all about marketing and not function.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2009 10:47AM

If you're using at least 1 guide per foot of rod length, you should have enough to provide adequate stress distribution to the rod. The only exception would be if your spacing is simply terrible. Even so, with that number even a fair progressive spacing should keep you out of hot water.

Generally, using 1 guide per foot of rod length plus a tiptop is about right. Sometimes you may feel better using 1 more than that, or one less, and either is still well within the range needed for adequate stress distribution. Using far fewer or far more, however, puts you at a danger point on one end and causes a loss of rod efficiency and performance at the other end.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 11:39AM

I would think that the "micro" guides should enable you to add a guide or two and not hurt anything. I typically use 9 + a tip on my 7ft UL and L rods where I use size 3 and 4 running guides. The guides are tiny and I use short wraps and PG for finish so the weight on the end is still minimal.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 12:20PM

Marc,
You only need to put enough guides on the rod, to insure that you have a "reasonable" line path of the line following the guide- when the rod is under stress.

Any more than that minimum is extra.

You may be able to get by with two guides or 42 guides depending on the length and action.

For a very very stiff rod, you can get by with very few guides. For a rod with a very fast tip, you may have to put the guides closer than 3 inches together to get the line to properly follow the blank. Of course, at the butt of the same rod, you may be able to separate the guides by as much as 2 feet.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2009 12:23PM

p.s.
I don't buy the advertising hype that more guides give you better feel in your hand on a strike.

You can try the test for yourself - i.e. adding a bunch more guides to give you "better feel".
Then fish the identical blank with the minimum number of guides and fish the same blank with one that has several more guides added to give you "better feel"

Draw your own conclusions.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster