I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rodbuilding "Hall" of Fame
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 10:25AM

......I nominate Cliff Hall, Doc Ski, Dale Clemens, and Billy Novonafoshoma(lmao)....and Hiro.

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rodbuilding "Hall" of Fame
Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: December 25, 2009 11:22AM

OK, I agree with your choices, but I'd also add Michael Joyce, Scott Throop and Randy Search.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.knology.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 11:40AM

Also Our Host Tom Kirkman and Dick French

Re: Rodbuilding \"Hall\" of Fame
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: December 25, 2009 11:42AM

This sounds more like a thread art hall of fame and if so, I would include Wayne Fowlkes from VA Beach. Wayne is the guy who has provided the wraps on all the Gudebrod thread catalogs for the past two or three decades.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 12:04PM

How about Mark Blaubaum and perhaps Terry Henson? Not to mention the couple in Alaska( sorry,can't remember their names) that do the great handles and scrimshaw work?
Chuck

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 12:40PM

How about Mark Crouse, He does alsome thread work

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 12:47PM

I nominate Raymond Adams for his excellent Rod Builder's Library in addition to his fine wrapping.

[www.rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 01:36PM

Kerry Hansen from WA along with Doc Ski and Mr Crouse for Art Weavers, Raymond Adams for information library, We need one for Thread Art and one for general information correctness for beginners

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 02:28PM

You gotta be in the game for a long time to get into the Hall. I'm still getting over Rookie of Year nominations, lol. I hate to name names as you always leave people off, but here is who I would put:
Dale Clemens - His involvement in Rodcrafters, his books and supply shop.
Doc Ski - His weaves, instructional videos on weaving, looms, innovator
Bernie Cohen - best known for his grips, headlining seminars for Rodcrafters, innovator
Tom Kirkman - articles in Rodcrafters Journal, ROdmaker MAgazine, RBO

I see a few names I left off already, I knew I shouldn't have typed anything. Cam & BD I apologize.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2009 05:37PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.yousq.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 03:23PM

I agree with every one's list and know that there are quite a few others that should be listed, but can't think of them right now. I would also add BD Ehler, Jack Justice (Bernie already listed) for what they added to the Clemens books. Also Billy for promoting the rod building craft.

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 25, 2009 04:04PM

It would be impossible to include all the great craftsmen-all are the best at what they do be it weaves, snake skin, Eva foam, woodwork, weaves, tiger wraps, abalone, marbling, etc. I have to go with the guys who have "pushed the envelope-the ones who showed us the possibilities and thus inspired hundreds to incorporate, improvise and devise; and in my case, made me want to build custom rods instead of assembling pre-made rod components. My nominees, in no certain order-Dale Clemens, Tom Kirkman, Rich Forhan, Ralph O'Quinn, Doc Ski, Gene Bullard and Andy Renzetti.

Date: December 25, 2009 04:16PM

There was a great guy who did wonderful inspiring thread art in Dale's Books. I am sorry to say he is no longer with us, Cam Clark shared a lot of inspirational time atr RodCrafter get togethers

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 04:22PM

Thanks David & Bob but I think it should be a long while before I could be considered for such an award.

I'm very proud of my library website but the contributers should get the credit for making it what it is. I'm just the librarian.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: December 25, 2009 04:49PM

I agree Ray. But with out you there would not be that kind of Library. Suggestion for you Library you need a cryptographic section for my spelling MC%HNYLMAO} Email me for translation

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 06:40PM

There was a rod builder who often graced the pages of Rodmaker that impressed me like few others. Have not seen him around in years. His name was Joe Emig. Not only was he a tremendous craftsman but he also pioneered a great many new ideas and techniques. Is he still active? Not to overlook any others but he was the best I have ever seen. If his work looked as good in person as it did in the magazine photos I would say he is well deserving of any such hall of fame.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 06:49PM

This was just a twisted ploy of mine to say merry christmas...and kick back and think about rodbuilding past present and future...based on the responses...aint it cool whats happened?

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 10:50PM

Mike is too funny, Merry Xmas to you & your family. I hope you are doing well.

Rich - I used to speak to Joe on teh phone here and there. The river by his house flooded him out, he repaired everything, adn it happened again and I left him alone and haven't been in contact with him. HE is a GREAT guy, I wish he'd come ot teh show again so we can hang out. He doesn't answer his mudcats e-mail any more, I know he barely checked his ccount, but he would usually say hay once in a whle. ANyone cotact with him? Tell him I said hello.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.knology.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 11:00PM

I guess I must have made a mistake with my post. If I stepped on some toes I am Sorry.

Did not know the back stories or politics

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2009 08:20AM

If you're referring to your earlier post, I just took it as a joke and let it go. No problem.

Posted by: Ian Scott (Moderator)
Date: December 26, 2009 01:29PM

Interesting post! Having built a number of rods years ago, and owing my own business, I have a few I could think of as well:

I'll second the nomination of Bernie Cohen, Cam Clarke, Ralph O'Quinn, Dale Clemens and some of the others. I've had either personal or phone contact at various times with these four.

In addition:

Fred Stevenson - hosted a number of seminars in Huntsville, Alabama and a fine gentleman who helped many at the drop of a hat. I had the honor of enjoying home cooked meals with Fred and his wife Chris a couple of times. I've lost track of them - is Fred still with us?

A fellow who's name escapes me - also from the Hunstville area I believe and a math teacher as well as a great rod building educator.

How about Bob McKamey? Been in the business a very long time and has always been willing to lend his advice and provide help to new rod builders when asked.

There are quite a few more as well - but the names are not coming to mind.

Ian Scott

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster