I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Diamond II Epoxy!!!!
Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2009 06:10PM

I just finished a Christmas "rush job" that a customer needed in hand by mid-day. I had run out of my "standard" epoxy and had just received some Diamond II epoxy yesterday. I had never used it before and I had time for only one attempt at getting the finish on a long wrap-the pressure was definitely on. I mixed the Diamond II, brushed it on the wrap and turned it by hand for about 45 minutes. It was amazing-crystal clear, perfectly level and a breeze to apply. I too have used many epoxies and had good results but I just wanted to give kudos to Bullard's Diamond II. A great product that lives up to its billing! David Spence, Cape Custom Rods, Beaufort, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diamond II Epoxy!!!!
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2009 06:45PM

i told you..

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 24, 2009 06:58PM

david i used it a couple months ago for first time and will be hard pressed to try anything else.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: December 24, 2009 08:48PM

It is GOOD stuff!

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 25, 2009 07:59AM

Have any of you used it long enough to comment on 'yellowing'?

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 10:51AM

I saw a white blank it was used on just last week. It had been left outside deliberately to check its "yellowing" properties, since October.
While the sun on the central east coast of Florida can be intense, the November and December sun is not like summer. Days are shorter, and we have had lots of cloud cover.
That said, I was appalled at how yellow the epoxy had turned under those conditions. I have 30 year old boat rods built on IGFA "class" blanks, built in the late 1970s that match the degree of yellowing displayed after 2 months on this blank..
I haven't built on a white blank in years, but I also don't use the old epoxy finishes I have on hand because the hardener has turned dark amber, and I know that has to affect how the wraps will look.
As with any new finish, I ALWAYS test it first on scrap blank wrapped with different color thread. Personally, I have decided to take a pass on this one.
Sorry to sound like the Scrooge...I really wanted to like this finish.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 25, 2009 11:14AM

Thanks Gary for your frank observation. I had heard some 'yellowing' concerns from one other source and wanted to see if there was any other confirmation on that.

Posted by: james o mc atasney (jimmy mac) (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 11:41AM

i was wondering,we were talking about finishes and just,most hardeners turn AMBER quickley, question, what would happen if you mixed a hardener of another brand that you know does not turn amber as quick as some of the others. again just thinking.

Jimmy Mac

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 25, 2009 11:54AM

All epoxies will turn yellow or amber over time. How much time depends on UV and/or heat. They will turn in the bottle (hardener) and they will still turn after being mixed and applied on a rod.

If anyone knows of a truly water-white clear epoxy that will not turn, please share it. But I doubt any such animal exists.

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: December 25, 2009 05:20PM

I have had TWO different experiences with this product. One turned a little yellow both in the bottle and on the rod. The other arrived clear and has stayed clear. I noticed something that I thought was odd and wrote it up to a product change. One kit I have is labeled as \"Diamond 2\" and the other is labeled as \"Diamond II.\" They do not appear to come from the same source but both had the Bullard name on the labels. Not sure if these are actually the same product or not. They do not seem the same IMO.

Posted by: Silvia Davis (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 08:04PM

Peter,

I am concerned about your observation. Yes, our packaging had a major overhaul just a few months ago. If there were some product issues around that time it makes me a bit uncomfortable and I appreciate your commenting on this. My concern for the product and its authenticity is paramount.

If you will check our website [www.diamond-ii.com] our product is pictured there. If what you are using is what is pictured there, you have the real thing. I can’t speak to any other packaging or product you might have. If you ever order a product from one of our listed dealers and don’t get the product shown on our website all you have to do is let me know personally and I will take care of it. I promise you though this will not happen with the dealers we have listed. Lance at Swampland Tackle [www.swamplandtackle.com] and Karen at Bingham Enterprises [www.angelfire.com] have the legitimate product in our new packaging. These are our only U.S. dealers. We do not intend to pick up another U.S. dealer until next year after The International Custom Rod Building Exposition.

Could you do me a favor and mail me the product in question? Contact me and we will work out the specifics. BullardIntlD2@aol.com I would like to have our people look at the product you have left. I really would appreciate it. I want to get to the bottom of this.

Thank you for taking time to post and I wish you would also follow the response I will be leaving for Gary who posted earlier. I am wondering if he didn’t have the same thing happen to him.

Silvia Davis
Bullard International

Date: December 25, 2009 08:12PM

Gary,

If you could share with us where you saw this example of what was represented to be our product and who was in possession of it. I would be most grateful.

Also, I have left a response to Pete’s post that I wish you would read. It might start to clear up some puzzlement on the issue.

Thank you,
Silvia Davis
Bullard International

Date: December 25, 2009 08:37PM

Oh and Peter I should have addressed the question of our name and logo. It can be confusing for those who don’t know the history. DIAMOND-II was named by my uncle Gene Bullard many years ago, which was the second improved formula of the first, DIAMOND-I. It became an instant hit and was written about in numerous magazines and articles. It seemed that when writing these articles the writers felt DIAMOND-II was a mouth full, so it was shortened many times as D2—it stuck. It has been referred to as both for over 25 years and our trademark carries both. Only legitimate DIAMOND-II rod finish is labeled in this manner.
D2
DIAMOND-II

And by the way, Merry Christmas! If Santa didn’t deliver snow where you live then go to our website and enjoy a little digital driven snow. The best kind, no snow shovel required.

Silvia Davis
Bullard International

Posted by: Harold Dean (96.1.3.---)
Date: December 26, 2009 11:23AM

Silvia.

I think it's great that you stepped up here to support your product. It's on my list of items to try out. I haven't had to order anything lately but will be getting some on my next order. I think it's important that people like you and Gary Loomis and other manufacturers have/show a legitimate interest in the rodbuilding industry. For us little guys that only build 15 or 20 rods a year, for me personally, it makes me feel good that I can contact people like yourselves directly and get an honest answer straight from the source.

All the best.

cheers
Harold

Date: December 26, 2009 11:58AM

Thanks much Harold. Well, you know, we really have to if we believe in our own product and if quality is more important to us than the bottom line—and it is. We are not aggressive in the sale of our product. We are only aggressive in the quality of our product. DIAMOND-II is a premium formula and has many years of trials to its credit in the hands of a pioneer in this business. Quality was everything to Gene Bullard.

It is harsh judgment of anyone’s product when someone accepts without question, second hand information. This is why I wanted to know where Gary got his. I still haven’t received an answer on this. This would then give me the opportunity to speak with those who conducted such an experiment and find out what exactly was done. If there is a problem we want to know about it so that we might address it. I begin to believe there is no problem when something like this comes up and I can’t uncover the source. There is just something odd here.

I look forward to hearing from you and we all wish you a wonderful New Year from DIAMOND-II.

Silvia Davis
Bullard International

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2009 12:01PM by Bullard International.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 26, 2009 12:39PM

Silvia- Please send me your email address.

Date: December 26, 2009 02:57PM

Gary,

While I have an open door policy and publish my direct phone line to anyone who needs to speak to me as Gene always did, I feel this is a bit different. Gene was constantly aware that his customers were a keen and educated bunch—they do their homework. This is the reason you see hundreds and hundreds of hits on each subject within this forum. The comments which potentially harm and cheapen the reputation of our great product were started on this thread. It is only fair and proper for me to continue this discussion for the benefit of the many viewers who have read the thread thus far.

I do not want to give the appearance that we have anything to hide, because we do not. We only want to address issues, if there are issues, with our product. So please if you will post your comment here I will respond right away.

Gary, I would also like to add here that DIAMOND-II is not afraid of white rods. In fact, Bullard International and Swampland Tackle will team up to give a fantastic door prize at The International Custom Rod Building Exposition. Lance selected a beautiful white for a rod about 2 months ago inwhich he will use to present. It’s a beauty!! You just won’t believe the surprise Lance has to reveal in this rod, such a unique idea. I have seen a lot of rods, but never one like this. The rod is finished with DIAMOND-II, of course—this was not done out of ignorance. As we all know every rod finish yellows over time to some degree depending on many factors. I would sure think though that none of us have ever experienced what you describe in your post. This is why I was eager to find out the particulars. I am sure that I am not alone in my thinking as an owner of a company who sells these finishes. If something so peculiar happened with their product, surely they would be just as conscientious and get to the bottom of it.

Thank you for understanding and I will look for your post.

Silvia Davis
Bullard International

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2009 02:58PM by Bullard International.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 26, 2009 07:03PM

Thanks for those first two paragraphs, I'm sort of stuck on U-40 because I believe Ralph has the same type of attitude, but because of your post Silvia, you'll be getting an order for Diamond II first of the week!

Posted by: Shane Pierson (---.ip.alltel.net)
Date: December 26, 2009 07:57PM

I am real interested to see what comes of this. I am another one who has been real close to ordering this lately because of everything good I have heard about it. I have some personal rods to build in the next couple months for my son and I when I can squeeze them in between customers. I may give it a try on them first.

Date: December 26, 2009 08:06PM

Grant,

I agree, I hear great things about Ralph O'Quinn and it will be my pleasure to meet him in February at the Expo. I am looking forward to it. Trondak is top notch.

I appreciate the input and we will be looking forward to hearing from you! If there is anything we can help you with don't hesitate to contact me.

Silvia Davis
Bullard International

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster