I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Split Grips - Performance Booster or Reducer?
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: December 24, 2009 08:49PM

Very well said, Bruce.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 24, 2009 10:04PM

The ergonomic rear grip pattern Tom put in RodMaker I think works very well. I don't really like it with a reel as wide, or wider than an Abu 6500, but anything you palm with a narrow spool, to me, feels very comfortable.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2009 10:05PM

As one who builds only fly rods, I have found this thread to be really fascinating! Seems the answer to the question, is a split grip better is...........MAYBE! "Better" appears to be in the eye of the beholder. As has been said many times during all the responses....the customer should be the determining party.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: December 24, 2009 10:24PM

Split grips look good, reduce weight, are cheaper to put together. Reducing tip weight is very important in balancing a split grip rod, as the reduced material can necessitate adding a lot of weight. However, I am gonna have to disagree with the hook keeper bit.

Looks like a good place to put a keeper, a little out of the way, etc..... BUT, I think that is only the ideal spot if you want to hook yourself when picking up the rod or carrying it around.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 24, 2009 10:53PM

Agreeing with Bobby's original statement...build them the rod THEY want if they KNOW what they want. Guide them if they need it. Either way they will be back for more. When you have developed a relationship with a customer who is confident in your abilities they will often quickly tell you exactly what they want and then ask you just as quickly " What would you use?" 95% of what I build are for people who fish like I do.

Billy V-you mentioned retrieving a lure that pulled on the rod-lessening the importance of balance---very true for that technique. But balance is much more useful in a tip-up lure presentations...jigs/plastic worms-not moving at all- slack line bites felt best with tips that are light in weight and/or carefully balanced to "feel" lighter.

Hook keepers in the split grip area---I agree with Ted-last place on the rod I want treble hooks is where I GRAB the rod.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 24, 2009 10:57PM

Ted;
Been building mine that way for several years, may hook myself one day but hasn't happened yet.

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 24, 2009 11:15PM

Steve Gardner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ted;
> Been building mine that way for several years, may
> hook myself one day but hasn't happened yet.

Too new a trick for this old dog.....good to see you back, Mr. Gardner.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2009 02:02AM

The best reference for split grips is the article in RodMaker - can't get your hands on that issue? Listen to Alex.

Posted by: Eric Nelson (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: December 26, 2009 10:09AM

I personally use the area in my split grips for all my labels. I cast two handed on every overhand, side arm, back hand, and roll cast due to having wrist issues. Un-like most people, I throw a baseball left handed, but I am naturally right handed, but for what ever reason cannot throw right handed. I do every thing else right handed as far bowling, golf, and writing. I cast with my right hand which is why this is even more weird. This is part of the issue with the wrist, most people cast with the same hand they throw with so there wrists are used to the throwing motion. I build all my rods with split grips and do not have any issue with using a split grip for two handed casting. I use a mushroom style but cap for the back section of the grip along with a section of cork just large enough to fit comfortably with three fingers on the cork and on on the mushroom butt section. As far as having to have a full grip to do a two handed cast, I just do not see it being an issue.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: December 26, 2009 03:39PM

Per Rich's spec sheet, he utilized a 2.5" butt section and 2.5" grip section on casting rods and a 2.5" butt and 6" grip section (including seat) on spinning rods.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: donald soward (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2009 08:41PM

i build rods for my friends and family, for the most part. just built my first spit grip spinning rod for dad, as that was what he wanted. i think we were all wanting to try one out, and dad was willing to be the guinea pig.

dad casts one handed most of the time, and keeps the reel seet between his fingers. dad is a deadly accurate caster, able to put a trout or bass plug in a dixie cup from many yards away... this is a 7' fast action rod, i feel would be a good speck/red wade fishing rod (no way these things would last on my boat.... no way).. for throwing plugs or spoons. even with a lure hanging on the end of it, the rod is very well balanced, surprisingly.

he absolutely loves the rod, and the way it casts....

myself, however, i HATE IT! no split grips for me. i cast similar to a technique posted above, with one hand right behind the other. i'm so used to having cork there, and grabbing the blank had me all fouled up, and i didn't feel like i had control over my cast. i overcame it eventually, but i don't prefer this for my rods.

i will say for longer casts, using a surf rod approach, grabbing the back grip, you could make a very long and accurate cast (there ya go, pops)... but i felt it over-powered the blank a bit.

and letting everyone try it, we had a mixed result. about 50%... so it seems, so far, that the split grip is a split decision. if i built rods for a living, i would definitely question anyone asking me to build one, and ask them why they want one, and if they already owned a split grip rod. i would also let them cast one, and watch how they cast another favorite rod, and educate them as much as possible. i don't think they are for everyone.

i did a lot of research, and knowing my pops fishing/casting style was a big help... so i don't think i failed, and i'm even thinking of another experiment in trying to build one suited for my casting style...

i tailor my handles and grips to what i know my guys and girls like and fish with. i'm lucky. i fish with these cats all the time, and can see what works or doesn't and what they complain about! to be able to build a handle that perfectly suits your target fisherman is pretty nice, and i think one of the signs of a 'custom' rod'.....

sis sure liked that skinny, halfwells foregrip i put on her rod, the cork in the real seat was a touch she really liked. 'finally, something to fit my skinny fingers!!!!, and turned up like yours!!'

it is a lot of fun to be building rods again. sorry for the long post.... this is such a cool forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2009 08:43PM by donald soward.

Posted by: Jim Johns (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: January 02, 2010 04:36PM

Alex Dziengielewski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>> I build both ways, although I prefer splits:
> - great for two handed casting - the correctly size "ball" on the end perfectly positions your off hand on the butt of the rod

I agree 100%. I prefer split grips on my bass rods for exactly that reason. I cast 2 handed - left hand palming the reel and right hand on the "ball". I determine the length of my grips to place the "ball" exactly where my bottom hand naturally rests. That way, the rod pivots around the "ball" when casting. It also places the "ball" in the right place to trap it between my side and forearm when fighting a fish. This practice allowed me to go fishing just 3 weeks after rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder. Your mileage may vary.

Jim

Posted by: Zane Rudolph (---.static.bil.oneeighty.com)
Date: February 05, 2010 02:58PM

You would have a hard time convincing me that split grips effect performance of a fishing rod one way or the other. whatever difference it does make would be so minute as to be imperceptible to any fisherman with less than superhuman powers.

I think it is personal preferance more than anything. if a customer wants a split grip because they are lighter and perform better, then they do. if he says split grips are ugly and don't add any performance, then they don't.

I like light rods and tackle for fishing in Montana and Wyoming so i prefer split handles on my spinning rods (i dont fish for anything big enough to require two handed casting except paddlefish ) the way i think of it is lighter is pretty much always better even if its imperceptible plus it looks cool and gives me twice as much space to play with my wrapping and inlaying techniques.

I think if you hung a five pound weight off the butt, it would have no effect on the CCS numbers of that rod. Split grips and static weights are purely personal preferance and fisherman perception. on the other hand any weight forward of the center of the reel will have a much larger impact. once you get to the upper 2/3 of the rod unsprung weight has tremendous affect on the performance of the rod.
go with the age old theory "if it feels good do it", or if its a customer "give em what they want".

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster