I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Help my spend my Xmas $
Posted by: Ryan Kirkpatrick (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 05:58PM

Ok guys, after about 4 months of research and lots of begging to my wife I've got her bought off on the idea of making our own rods. I have come to the conclusion that I need to build my own rods due to the fact that there is not a production rod in the world that is 100% fine-tuned to our fishing techniques, and I feel that most rod companies toatlly miss the mark. The production rods I have settled on after many years of trial and error and lots of $$ are the older style GLoomis GLX's. But, even compared to the newest models, there is a lot more to be had in the way of performance. I mean come on, does every rod need to have a foregrip? Does every rod have to have a full length cork grip? Does every rod have to have HUGE guides? I have several ideas to make a rod better, and my background as an engineer makes me want to apply the ideas to real-world tools.

I have a $1500-2000 budget (Which is about what I spend every year looking for the right rod) to play with. I would like some input from you guys on how I should put this budget to the best use. I will (hopefully) be building for myself, my wife, my 4 children, and probably 10-12 of my closest freinds. So, not a full scale operation, but not a small one either. I myself like to have no less than 20 rods avalible for my own personal use for bass tournaments. I need suggestions for tools, equipment, and good quality, but reasonably priced componets to learn with. Also suggestions for epoxies/finishes that are easier for a newb to work with will be helpful too.

Thanks so much, and sorry for the long post!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help my spend my Xmas $
Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 06:11PM

Ryan,

My best advice would be to read throught the library here as well as the glossary to familiarize yourself with a few things. Take a look at buying some books (i'd recommend Tom's book) and look at the rodbuilding video's on Mudhole's website. I started out by building a few rods on cheap blanks with cheap components and then worked my way up to building on high end blanks. That method worked well for me as I felt I became more proficient with each build. You really don't "need" alot of tooks or equipment to get started. I have a Flex Coat hand wrapper, a thread pick, burnishing tool, thread scissors, alcohol lamp, and a magnifier. You don't have to spend much to get started but you'll find that the more rods you build, the more you'll eye the nicer equipment. Everyone has personal preferences as far as epoxies go. I use Flex Coat's color preserver and high build finish.

You can't go wrong in dealing with any of the sponsors on the left, they are all willing to take time to answer your questions. The builders on this forum are a wealth of knowledge and they can save you alot of headaches and $$$ if you follow their instructions and advice.

Merry Christmas,
jeremy

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.140.184.173.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 07:09PM

Wher are you located? Might be time for a visit somewhere close to get a hands-on look at an established shop. You are welcome here.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Ryan Kirkpatrick (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 07:24PM

Thank you Jeremy and Bobby! I would enjoy going to a pro's shop to see what they do. I am located about an hour south of Dallas/Fort worth.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 08:02PM

Welcome aboard, I just have one question. If you have been willing to throw down $1500 to $2000 a year on searching for the perfect rod, have you ever had a rod custom built to your needs? You will find a lot of info on here, and as it has been stated here many times, be very careful as this is extremely addicting.

Best of luck,

Steve

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 08:10PM

You are welcome to visit us and look over all the Batson blanks and components, as well as Pac Bay and American Tackle items.
We stock rod wrappers and finishing machines, along with all the other items you might need.
Located between Bull Shoals and Lake Norfork, and surrounded by the world class Trout fishing of the White River.
Give us a holler, we are about 8 hours away.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: December 22, 2009 08:14PM

Great question Steve. I talked with 2 people about building me a couple of rods. Quite honestly, I don't think they were competent rod builders. I told them what I wanted/needed in a rod. Which is little more than a good blank, a short EVA handle, a modified seat that would facilitate that way I hold a rod, and some really nice lightweight guides, with no fancy wraps or anything. Both of them told me they couldn't/wouldn't do it. The first guy I talked to mainly just did repairs, the second guy seemed to use "Budget" componets, but fancied himself as a great wrapper/weaver. I got bad vibes from both people, and after having fished with a friends rod made by rodbuilder #2, I think my decsion not to have him make me a rod was the right one.

Thanks for the warning Steve, but I think I might already be doomed to the life of a rodbuilder, as this has held my interest for the last 4 months. I find it very exciting to have an idea, and need a certain componet, and search, and search, and search...then there it is! I'll be luckier than some, in that I have access to a Fortune 500 company's Machine Shop, and will be able to build what I cannot find! I am VERY, VERY excited to have made the decsion to build my own!

Date: December 22, 2009 08:16PM

Thanks Ron! If I need to get away on a Spring vaction, I may just come up there and let you show me the river, and how to cast one of those "Buggy Whips"! Thank you!

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 08:25PM

Ryan,

Where do you work? I'm in the trade also. I design extrusion tooling for Automated Extrusion in Ramsey Minnesota. I spent years on the manufacturing floor of the shop building tight tol. tools. This my freind will give you a huge jump on rod building, I know it has helped me tons!!

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2009 08:41PM

Ryan,

I would suggest you take Bobby Feasel up on his offer. I also suggest you contact Bill Stevens if he doesn't contatct you first. You 2 will have a LOT to talk about!!!

Bill in WV

Date: December 22, 2009 08:56PM

I work for an oil and gas service supply company. We make 10-2500 BHP frac pumps, high pressure fluid handling equipment, flow metering devices, ect. I am a Manufacturing Engineer. The main focus of my job is to figure out how to make the products on cnc machine tools, design tooling, write NC programs, ect. Then figure out how to put the end product together. I really love what I do. It's a lot of fun to see a process you have designed in action, and see the smile on a high profile customer's face when you have exceeded their expectations!

I have thought that rodbuilding would lend itself to a mechanically inclined person. The part that I will struggle with is the "Pretty" part, which is really going to be a problem for my personal rods, but may come into play on other people's.

Thanks for the great welcome guys! Makes me feel at home here!

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 09:12PM

Hi - I hope you make the perfect rods and save money by building your own.

If any money is left over, please consider this worthy cause. :)

[www.takeasoldierfishing.org]

Respectfully,
Rick

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.140.184.173.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 09:20PM

Ryan

We are less than 3 hours apart. Hemphill, TX on the banks of Toledo Bend. Set it up and come on down.

Retired, fishing and cut the grass sometimes, if my wife can make me do it.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 22, 2009 09:27PM

Ryan,
Where exactly are you on the south side of DFW? I'm in the Austin area, but travel to Dallas regularly. I'd be happy to sit down with you to get you started. In fact, I have a hand wrapper and dryer you could borrow to see if you enjoy rod building before you invest your own money. You can email if you want to set something up.

Some tips for getting started, order you a basic rod building video and Tom's book, read through the on line library here, start with a cheap blank, order from one of the vendors on the left that can sell you everything you need, blank, grips, seat, guides and epoxy, remember start cheap.

Welcome to a very addictive hobby. Nothing beats catching fish on something you've created except maybe watching someone else do it.

Robert

Date: December 22, 2009 09:38PM

Wow! I am really surprised at the response I've gotten from you guys! Yall are really a class act! I would definatly like to go both of your shops Robert, and Bobby. I'd like to set up somthing with you guys after the first of the year if possible!

I really like your website Bobby, you have some great looking products! I'm really interested in learning about your decal printing!

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: December 22, 2009 11:01PM

OK, here's my suggestion:
1. Spend a few dozen dollars and pick up Tom's rodbuilding book and another book.
2. Read as much as you can including the Library here and past posts.
3. Read other sites . Basically just read and familiarize yourself with where you think you may be headed.

4. Spend a few hundred of the $2K and attend the RodExpo to learn and pick the brains of the experts there.

5. Purchase what you need at savings at the expo. I really don't that you you'll need to spend $2k to build world class rods.

By the way, what are you fishing for normally?

Mo

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2009 08:02AM

go to the expo and you will learn more in one weekend than in years on your own..it will be money well spent

Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: December 23, 2009 09:57AM

Ryan,

Im in DFW,
I live in Wylie,but work in Dallas (near downtown)
Its great that so many here are willing to help huh?...haha!

Let me know if Im a closer option for you..
The best advice I can give at your point,is to take a little bit of advice from everyone and find what works for you.
Raymond Adams site has alot of great tutorials on it.

[rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Take care
Walker

Posted by: Mike Winkler (---.samuelmanutech.com)
Date: December 23, 2009 11:34AM

As a new builder myself, I'd say get a hand wrapper start with that. Start with some blanks that aren't too expensive. Mudhole on the left has a series of house blanks that are a real bang for the $$$.

Or start with a kit from Acid rod. Get 1 or 2 rods under your belt then go from there. All of the sponsors I've dealt with so far have been awesome. I am several hours from the middle of no where. I purchased a couple of books and DVD's to get me started.

Use this websites search engine if you have any questions between this site and Raymond Adams rod building tutorials you should have almost all the resourses you need to get started. This hobby is very addicting and time consuming. But well worth it.

Most of the builders on this forum will gladly help and give you more info than you can process.

Welcome to the addiction!!

Mike

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2009 11:50AM

You may want to pick some G Loomis GLX rod blanks before they are no longer available. I believe MudHole still has a few left. I don't believe that you will find a better blank to build your custom rods.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster