I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MINIMA 4 guide Question
Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 08:55PM

This will be my first minima guide build.
So far i like what i see with them but i have reservations.
I am trying to put together a heavier travel rod for myself.
General scratching below dams for striper, cats and whatever bites,and redfish/blues etc in salt.
Its a 8 1/2 ft lamiglass GSA1023H 12-25 . Plan is to use 20# braid with topshot of floro.
My other travel rods i used higher frame guides (fuji TATSG) and based on that ordered 25 16 10 and 6's to the top. On high frames that would work out ok with a 4000 Daiwa SOL reel.
My reservations:

The TICH Minima 4 quides for this rod are DOUBLE FOOTED. They are model CTV4CG's
My first question is despite them being so light weight do i need those double foot guides on 20# line? They are very light and thin but....?
Then the frames are so low compared to others i use that i doubt the 25 will be big enough: not the ring size, that will work its the height that worries me.
Do I try swap them out for other guides or get an extra 30 or 40 guide or maybe a 25 and 16 TATSG and only use the minimas from the 10 down or what?
BTW the tip top has just become my new favorite.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MINIMA 4 guide Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2009 09:05PM

You can get more height by moving to larger rings. If you're not willing to risk the use of the Minima super high single foots, then that's probably about all you can do.

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.sip.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 09:09PM

Tom, i have not used the Minima super high singles, would they be up to the task?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 11:19PM

Lou,
Since you are going to be fishing cats, I assume that you will have a pretty good lure and or weight on the end of the rod as you lob the line out.

If so, the guide size will work just fine.
If, however, you use lighter lures and or weight, such that the heavier line might cause casting issues, you could certainly increase the first guide up to a size 30, then 20, 16, 10 and 6.

The strength of the guides will be fine. One thing to be sure to do is to use a well braced tip for the end of the rod. The tip is where there is going to be a lot of pressure so be sure to use a well braced one.

Remember, you are only talking 20 lb test line, and most folks have the drags set for about 1/2 the breaking strength of the line. So you are really only asking that the guides hold up toe 10 lbs of force.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2009 07:56AM

These are not heavy duty guides by any stretch of the imagination. However, they' not extremely fragile either. Without knowing exactly how you treat your rods or what your fishing entails I really can't say if they'd be up to the job or not. My gut feeling is that you'd be better off sticking with the heavier guides if your rods see a good amount of bumping and banging around in the boat.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 22, 2009 09:21AM

Tom,and Roger,
thanks for the input.

This is not a boat rod, its part of my 3 and 4 piece travel rod set.
This is how i use travel rods:I have a reinforced 42 inch gun case i carry 4 and soon to be this, the 5th , travel rod around in. Each rod has a nest of foam it lives in. Its airline legal size for in cabin. At the last minute they sometimes put it below but you get it back as you deplane.

The lowness of the 25 is my remaining concern: i think it might cut down casting distance if its the first guide. Distance is very important, my rods normally outcast most folks and that gives me an edge. I will experiment but think i am going to land up with a bigger guide.
Or a taller one at least.
I guess with anything new one has to experiment!

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 12:59PM

Lou,

The Minima 4's are metal guides, even the TiCH (which is more or less a powder coating). I'm not sure they will hold up to braid in the long run. You may want to stick to ceramic ring inserts for braids.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 22, 2009 01:52PM

Torin,
yes i just looked at them again during my lunch break and I don't think they will work for my style of fishing.

One of the downsides of buying via the internet and not having a supplier nearby that you can go visit to see the items first. The nearest stores to me here in Memphis is either Schneiders in Mountain Home Arkansas and they are not open weekends , or Swampland in New Orleans.
That's a long drive for a $50 set of guides!
I will go back to my TATsg's etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster