I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Camo fly rod blanks
Posted by: Harold Dean (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 07:10AM

I'm looking for a 9' 6wt 2pc. camo fly rod blank. Mudhole has some MHX camo blanks but they are only 4wt. Can anyone save me some time and point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Harold

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Camo fly rod blanks
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 07:50AM

Harold, check your email

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2009 08:47AM

Or paint your own. That way you have the exact blank you want instead of having to perhaps settle for whatever is offered in camo coloration.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: December 21, 2009 08:58AM

I've given that some thought Tom. I'm just not sure I'm up to the challenge. I don't know what type of paint to use, should I scrape the blank down, etc. etc. Perhaps some more feedback here from those that have done this, and I will certainly consider taking this on.

Jim, I'll check my email as soon as I get home from work. Thank-you.

Harold

Date: December 21, 2009 09:06AM

You would almost certainly have to use an air brush to get a nice job. If you know a serious plastic modeler in your area you might inquire as to what he would do it for. I used enamel and the paint has held up pretty well considering it's now something like 15+ years old.

Date: December 21, 2009 09:19AM

Wow, that's durability Tom. I'm assuming (I know, bad word) that you have to scrape the blank down? When you use the enamel paint do you still put a clear coat overtop? Would that also be enamel or something maybe like permagloss? I thought about purchasing an airbrush in the past, this might be a good time to take the plunge and experiment. Again, I just don't know where to start as painting the blanks is new to me.

I'm certainly open to emails from anyone, so we don't tie up the forum here but i'm sure there are many others that would be interested in the proper technique as well.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 09:32AM

Harold,
Give me an email I can dip paint the blank of your choice for you using the same process they use for bow and guns (hydroimmersion).I have done several of my personal rods for years.

Vic

Date: December 21, 2009 10:13AM

I didn't top coat with anything. Just left it matte enamel.

The process Vic mentions is probably better from a long term durability standpoint. When I did the rod in the photo that sort of thing wasn't available or at least not very common.

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: December 21, 2009 11:43AM

Hi Victor
Mike here, for future reference what would you charge to camo a rod blank?

Mike
Mike Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 12:54PM

Yeah, exactly how much do you charge for a camo coat? I would be interested as well.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 01:46PM

That should be a durable coating. I have it on a compound bow and it has taken its share of abuse through the woods. Still looks fine.

Date: December 21, 2009 02:46PM

I will try to email anyone interested so as not to hijack this thread.
The price is going to vary with pattern, and number of pieces etc. I really hadn't thought about marketing it here since Mudhole came out with their blanks a few years ago.

Anyone interested can email me and I will try to ballpark you as close as possible.

Thanks,
Vic

Date: December 21, 2009 08:04PM

John, Unhide your email or hit me up on mine.

Vic

Posted by: John Lubben (---.gci.net)
Date: December 22, 2009 12:56AM

Oki doki unhidden.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster