I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sealing cork
Posted by: phil mccartney (---.fuse.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 08:42PM

I have built just one fly rod, but have plans to build several more. I wondered about the use of cork sealer on grips. Does the sealer really protect the cork from staining? What sealers are most commonly used, and are they very specifically for cork ? Is the cork easier to clean as a consequence of treatment, and are periodic retreatments necessary?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sealing cork
Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 08:55PM

I don't know if you would call it a sealer or not, but I use True-oil. It's kind of like a varnish. It turns the cork a little darker and puts a bit of a shine on it too. To me it doesn't feel quite as good as the original cork, but it keeps it looking nice for a long time.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 20, 2009 09:29PM

Yes, U40 Cork Seal, Yes and No.

[u-40.com]

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 11:13PM

i don't bother with cork sealer so in case you're under the impression it's necessary, it's not. i do use soft scrub cleanser and a sponge once a year or so.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 11:28PM

Phil,
After building many many many rods, I used cork sealer on one rod and decided to never seal another one.
I simply much prefer the feel of the cork without anything on the cork.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: December 21, 2009 12:01AM

Phil, if you have an old rod, be it fly or casting, get a bottle of U40 cork seal. Sand the cork. If you like a very smooth feel use a higher grit, over 200 or if you like a little grip try 120. 1 thin coat of U40.

I was very skeptical when I first found out about it. I'm a hobby builder but I have done 35 plus years of club and local tourney bass finishing. I reworked over a dozen of AllStar rods that I have used for quite some time. I sanded out the stains, (mainly sunblock) and patched large gaps. I was sold after the first rod. Even when they are wet in hard rains (which I thought would be a problem), I saw no problem. I love fresh cork but that only last so long. Now when I build myself a new rod, I seal it before it goes to the boat.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 01:12AM

I personally like the feel of cork. The more worn and aged it get the more memories I have. I tell people I love to fish, but truth be told I love to go for walks with my fishing equipment. The times that I have spent the day without seeing a sole, or been bothered by having to release fish are the days that I love the most. Your time outside, experiencing what mother nature gave us some of the best times I have had fishing. I went through my rods the other day to make sure I did proper maintenance on a few of them and I probably spent a good hour just playing back some of trips in my head. I tend to Ramble...So in short "Cork Feels Good Worn Cork Feels Even Better"

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 21, 2009 07:03AM

Mark Marshall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Phil, if you have an old rod, be it fly or
> casting, get a bottle of U40 cork seal. Sand the
> cork. If you like a very smooth feel use a higher
> grit, over 200 or if you like a little grip try
> 120. 1 thin coat of U40.

BTW, I would suggest this approach AND add a little piece of useful information. Before you start sanding, do a very good cleaning. Start with water, then soapy water and finally baking soda and water ... an old toothbrush is very useful. Get the grip as clean as possible and allow it to fully dry - then do your sanding. Otherwise, you will sand the dirt and debris into the clean cork you are sanding to get to.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 07:50AM

I use Tru oil on all of my rods. I like the richer look it gives to the cork. Tru oil and cork sealer help to keep the cork clean for a longer period of time.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 08:04AM

Good morning,
I use U40 all of the time.
I started to use it on factory rods to keep the cork filler from coming out from use. The filler only lasts just so long. The U40 seals it so it lasts for years. U40 also keeps the cork cleaner - but pay attention to the instx - DO NOT APPLY TOO MUCH - AND DO NOT APPLY A SECOND COAT. Otherwise it will get slippery when wet.
Herb

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 09:37AM

Piping in here...
I use U-40 Cork Sealer on ALL my cork work. Before I began using it, my cork grips required a light sanding to clean them up 2-3 times/year. Over the years, that adds up to a good deal of cork being removed. With cork sealer, I do a light sanding every 5 years or so, and then re-apply.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 09:37AM

Herb,
I have been using the U40 product when I do burl mix grips to bring out the grain so to speak. I have been doing a second coat to give a slightly higher sheen to it and have not had any problems with it being slippery. Similar to the carbon fiber grips, the shape matters more than the slickness of the surface. If you like burl cork with one coat, two looks great. I havent tried tru oil yet....keep forgetting to pick some up.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 21, 2009 11:22AM

I like to mix Elmers wood filler light oak and U40 into a paste after i sand lightly and get that into the small holes and chips , its just stays nice longer. I tried mixing cork dust in too but that did not work well for me.Too gritty a finish.
I spread by finger wearing rubber gloves. Sand very lightly and then pure u40 with a sponge brush. Works for me.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 21, 2009 08:58PM

Scott,
I use U40 also on exotic cork burl (Lamar's old product) and it does bring out the "graining" very nicely. I fly fish the surf a lot and get smacked by waves all the time. Can't keep my hands or grip dry. The 2nd coat just does not work with me.
Herb

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: December 22, 2009 10:22PM

Thanks for the comment Jim.

Posted by: phil mccartney (---.fuse.net)
Date: December 23, 2009 12:18AM

Thanks very much. Your comments have been very helpful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster