I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First time for everything
Posted by: mike burnette (209.105.133.---)
Date: December 18, 2009 10:41PM

Well,I had some first tonite...Not what ya are thinking.hehehe
I got my wraping machine this week and ordered 2 blank kits.
Tried to ream the cork handle with the hand reamer and low and behold I cracked the handle.
I was still able to finish putting the handle,reel seat and foregrip on.
I had an old rod in the shop and my next first was tying a guide on.I tie crappie jigs, so I kinda know what a good tie
looks like and my 1st guide wrap did not look to good.I just have to git use to the wrapper.

What is a good/better way to ream the handles??Them hand reamers don't work good.

Do or can you tie a underwrap on a single foot guide??

Anyway,supposed to be a foot of snow here in cenral VA by morning.So I can practice,,practice,,,practice!!!

mikeb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First time for everything
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 10:57PM

You can use an underwrap, but there is absolutely no need for it on a lite rod, just adds weight an minutely dampens action.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 10:59PM

Mike,
To ream handles, I use a couple of variable speed drills.
I use a smaller round file in a 3/8th variable speed drill.
Then, I use a 1/2 inch round file in a 1/2 inch variable speed drill.

When using the round files for reaming, I insure that they are rotating against the direction of the file spiral. i.e. you don't want to have the file rotating in the same direction as the file spiral. If you do, the file will tend to screw itself right into the handle and crack it open.

By using the file in reverse, you force the file into the handle, with the file wanting to back out. This means that the file is cleaning out the hole as you ream. Take very small steps, frequently blowing the cork dust out of the handle. Work slowly and carefully and you will be done quickly.

One important note - when using the variable speed drills (and or reamers) I run the file and or reamer quite slowly - typically less than 500 rpm.

I like to simply wear a cloth glove in one hand to hold the cork handle. Then, as you ream, you can let the handle slip a bit from time to time that the continuing rotation of the handle will tend to self center the hole in the grip.

If you find that you have to make a large change in the hole diameter, the use of various sized long drills work well. Again, I use a file to enlarge the hole where I am going to use the drill bit. That way, if the drill happens to tear out a bit of cork - it will be inside the handle where it won't show. i.e. make the starting hole in the handle slightly larger with the file or reamer than the desired drill bit to be used .
You can check out harborfreight.com for inexpensive long drill bits of various sizes.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2009 11:02PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 11:00PM

I hand ream everything. Good reamers work great. After a while you will learn a fine touch with the reamers. Do not force them. Keep moving, and twisting lightly, and you will learn how to do it.
I am sure some of the more experienced guys on here will have some tips. After a while you will be able to keep the reamers centered, cut evenly, by feel, and by watching. When you try to force the reamer, it can bind up, then something has to give. The cork. Practice is all it takes.
I will let someone else help with the wrapping. I am not too sure what your problem is there.

Kyle Robinson

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2009 11:10PM

Mike, I use both of the methods that Kyle and Roger use. I like to start with the 3/8 file like Roger uses and finish up with a hand reamer. The trick is to take your time.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 18, 2009 11:58PM

For me the hand reamers work better than a file. Just take your time and rotate the grip every few strokes.
No need for an under wrap on fresh water rods. Now would be a great time to practice the Forhan Wrap on single foot guides, while it's snowing.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 19, 2009 04:40AM

Mike that is why I design my own grips one cork at a time. If your reamers are to short or not the right size. May I suggest that you cut the gripe in half. Using a sharp single edge razor blade, like a utility blade. Using some 1/4 masking tape wrap it around the gripe. find a ring line and mask along the line. Make 4 wraps of tape, You will use the tape as a straight edge. Lay the blade next to the tape and slowly cut a line in the cork. once the cork is cut, ream to fit. OH yes be for you start your cut mark both sides of the cork, this will give you alignment spots when you glue the 2 pieces back together. Clamp directly to the blank , wipe off all excess glue. when glue is dried just light sand with 00 or 400 open grite paper and no one will ever know you cut the cork. E mail me if I confused you

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 19, 2009 04:41AM

Mike that is why I design my own grips one cork at a time. If your reamers are to short or not the right size. May I suggest that you cut the gripe in half. Using a sharp single edge razor blade, like a utility blade. Using some 1/4 masking tape wrap it around the gripe. find a ring line and mask along the line. Make 4 wraps of tape, You will use the tape as a straight edge. Lay the blade next to the tape and slowly cut a line in the cork. once the cork is cut, ream to fit. OH yes be for you start your cut mark both sides of the cork, this will give you alignment spots when you glue the 2 pieces back together. Clamp directly to the blank , wipe off all excess glue. when glue is dried just light sand with 00 or 400 open grite paper and no one will ever know you cut the cork. E mail me if I confused you

Good Wraps Bob

Good Wraps Bob

Date: December 19, 2009 11:43AM

Ron,Thats kinda what I thought.
Roger,I saw the video on the flex coats web site.withthe reamers.
Kyle and Bill,I think my reamers were not the best,they came in a kit from mudhole.
Jay,What is a Forhan wrap??
Bob,My reamers were not the right size and I had to force it to work and that part of the grip was to big on
the blank,I just put extra epoxiy in the bottom hole.I have another to do, I might just try to cut in 1/3s.
Thanks Guys!!
More to come,
mikeb

Date: December 19, 2009 12:29PM

Mike, "unhide" your e-mail addy and I will send you a tutorial on the Forhan Wrap for single foot guides.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: December 19, 2009 12:38PM

Jay,Email should show now.
I did not know that it was not showinf.
thanks,mkeb

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 19, 2009 03:14PM

You could also check the Library here. Good article and pics on the Forhan wrap.

Date: December 19, 2009 04:45PM

Now you got 2 of them Mike. I had forgotten about the one in the Library.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: December 19, 2009 07:37PM

Thanks Guys,
mikeb

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 07:34PM

[www.batsonenterprises.com]

Above is a link to Batson's reamer set. I have one of these, and they are terrific. Well made, quality, easy on the hands, and they come with spare sand paper. Good value.
Several of the sponsors to the left carry them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster