I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reason not to use Forhan locking wraps?
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 01:16PM

I was just wondering if it makes sense not to use a Forhan locking wrap, in certain applications. Specifically, it might be preferrable to have a guide pull free, rather than impart that stress on the tip section of a rod, which could snap the blank. Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reason not to use Forhan locking wraps?
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 01:26PM

Typically, the tip section of the rod is NOT the area where the guides are under the greatest stress. If it were, there would be no reason to have a rod where the mid or butt section is any stronger than the tip.
So...if you want a "break-away" guide, it doesn't belong in the tip section.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 02:10PM

I'm thinking more of what happens if the guide gets snagged while stashing the rod in a gunwhale or moving it in out of the car, boat, house, etc...

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 18, 2009 02:45PM

It's a reasonable question and in some cases you might well prefer to have a guide pull out. But as guides get smaller and trimmer they're actually less prone to hang on things and when they do they tend to come free more easily.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: December 18, 2009 02:45PM

No reason not to add that I know of. I have added it to all my guide wraps for years (over 10) even mini guides. I do have to watch the finish on the mini guides because it can cover part of the ring. I have not had a guide pull out since I started using the Forhan wrap and ALL my rods go in and out of the rod boxes. And yes I have bent a giude hanging up on the tubes several times.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 02:48PM

I tend to use the forhan locking wraps on rods where I know that the end user will likely be walking through the brush or between trees/shrubs. This is usually the case when fishing rivers and streams, moving from pool to pool. I always recommend walking with the butt of the rod leading the way and the tip following behind, so that any "hang-up" will impart a pulling motion. If a guide gets caught up in the foliage this way, and you don't notice right away, then there's a good chance that the rod sections will just separate - rather than removing a guide from the rod. This of course only works out if it's a multi piece rod, and you don't join the rods sections together too snug.

Posted by: Joe Hall (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 02:50PM

I have built rods both ways and so far I have not had any returned because of guide failure. On small single foot guides, trout, bass, and fish of that size, it makes no difference whether you do or don't, on big stuff I would recommend using Forhan locking wrap, but again, not necessary.
The reason I say that is, I have a saying,

IF YOU TREAT IT LIKE CRAP, IT WILL BECOME CRAP!

Not everyone treats their equipment or tools or what ever, with the care that it should be taken care of. I have a B&D drill that I have had for 20 plus years, parts no longer available, it is just wearing out, I have built 3 decks repaired 100's computers, sanded, drilled, bored, and just about every thing else you can think of with it, but it has been taken care of, I have a rod I built years ago, looks as new today as it did when I built it.
Rod breakage, guide damage and almost all damage to a rod and reel comes from carelessness and or in to big of a hurry!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 09:24PM

When storing my rods I always sock them before tubbing. As for knocking a guide out when placing them in a boat, I always use rod holders (I never lay them on a deck). I am sure there are more rods broken in doors or hatch lids. Oh yes I forgot there is also the big foot cause of breakage. As for the Forhan wrap I was doing that method before it was known as the Forhan system. Other than keeping the guide from pulling out it also keeps junk from getting under the foot from the tunnel. It seams that some builders have a problem with filling the tunnel with finish. This well cause a wrap failure

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.ellijay.com)
Date: December 19, 2009 02:55PM

To each his own, but as for me, the only time I don't use the Forhan locking Wrap is on double foot guides.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 19, 2009 03:03PM

I agree with Joe regarding how you treat your rods. If you really have to rely on a Forhan wrap to prevent damage to a guide, I expect you're rod will look like heck very quickly due to how you are treating it. -chipped finish on the rod and the guides, scratches, etc. I do not use Forhan wraps (exc on one rod where I wanted to try it) and have never had one guide move. I have broken a couple guides by stepping on them, yes, Bob, the big foot, but even then, the guide foot never moved.

On really big guides, like salt water rods, it may be an entirely different story, I have no data, but on normal freshwater guide sizes, unless you trash your rods, you won't see a difference between regular and Forhan (I have lots of data).

A relatively new kind of "abuse" is the "wind knot" that forms at times with braid. Maybe that can represent an advantage for the Forhan, but I expect if the stresses are high enough to move the guide foot they are high enough to bend the guide, possibly break it. And the rod tip as well.

Posted by: fred krebser (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 09:54AM

you couldnt of said it any better IF YOU TREAT IT IT LIKE CRAP IT WILL BECOME CRAP . after breaking one of my builds by roling up the window buy habit was upset for days . expensive blank! i use rod carrier now carry up to 4 rods. laid in back of truck.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 03:59PM

I have a friend who carries his 2 piece rods in a hard case foam in side gun case. Also point of interest. Caring rods in a gun rack will cause a lot of unseen breakage points. You will not be aware of the damage until the rod is put under stress.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2009 09:56PM

I have never used the Forhan locking wrap and have never had a guide pull out.
But my question is...on the new micro guides do you need it for guiides sizes 5 and down?
I've read reports of the finish creaping into the ring.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster