I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Small guide prep
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 04:39PM

I was working on a batch of ice rods the other night and was in the process of prepping a very large quantity of very small guides.
I have used many different methods to hold the guide while prepping, but I was having difficulty holding the small guides without damaging the guide.

I came across such a simple method, that I wondered why I had never used it before.

I simply used a 3 inch long 10X32 machine screw with a flat head.
I ground the head down so that the head was only about 1/16th inch thick.

Then, I cut a piece of scrap blank about 2 1/2 inches long and also a 10X32 wing nut.

In use, I simply dropped the guide onto the bolt, drop on the blank, thread on the wing nut which only has to turn about 3 turns to be tight.
Now, one has a nice handle to hold the small guide that is trapped between the head of the machine screw, and the scrap blank.

No damage to the guide and very easy to get down the full length of the guide foot as needed to give an excellent job of prepping the guides.

Take care

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Small guide prep
Posted by: Brad Young (---.cha.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 04:43PM

What size of guides are you prepping? I have found that on the 3 and 4's you dont need to prep the feet.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 05:22PM

Hemostats is what I use to hold all the smaller guides, works for me, I hold them by the foot itself.

Like Brad said some micro's dont need grinding, others DO! I have used a few brands and there is a major difference.

DR

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 05:56PM

I've been using nylon machine screws. The 3 mm are too small for the screws I can find. I finally found some 2-56 screws at a hobby shop that will go thru the # 4 rings.
I'll bet the M & M crowd has already crossed this bridge.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 06:32PM

Brad and Duane,
I was prepping some gold plated small fly guides - ranging in size from 1-5.
The construction of these guides were such that they really needed prepping.
One of the biggest reasons was the gold plating on the guides.
The gold plating made the guides much too slippery to hold a thread.
Also, the guide foot was quite blunt and rather thick - so - it made wrapping very difficult.

Since many of the ice rod tips - on which I was wrapping the guides are no more than about 1/16th in diameter, many of the smaller guides had to have the guide foot narrowed as well as thinned.
Thus, the need to be able to hold the guide by the foot.

A nylon machine screw would not have worked, since - I was having to remove so much of the foot, that the end of the guide foot would get near red hot and it would melt a nylon screw holding the guide.
A hemostat would not work since I had to machine virtually all of the guide foot. Therefore I could not hold the guide by its foot.
Since these guides have no inserts, I don't want to hold the guide by any sort of plier because it could possibly nick the guide itself and lead to problems.

Thus the solution of the very thin headed machine screw backed up by a piece of appropriately sized rod blank and wing nut.

---

Also, since many of these guides end up with a foot that is only about 1/4 of an inch long the double locking wrap - when wrapping - is really essential to insure 0 slippage of the guide after wrapping.

It will be nice when ice season is over so that one can get back to wrapping a rod that has a reasonable sized blank.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 17, 2009 06:37PM

"Very small guides" on an ice rod? Real small guides on an ice rod here in Iowa create an 'ice up' issue. I use small, curved hemostats and pad the the guide with a thin layer of 'closed cell foam' prior to grabbing it. Tapering off the end a little does make the wrapping much easier for me.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 08:14PM

Here in Minnesota, we fish inside. LOL

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster