I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Interesting Reel Concept
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 12:10PM

The newest Ardent baitcasting reels do not have level wind mechanisms. Instead they have a slightly pooched out front area containing a small ceramic ring. I guess at this point most freshwater casting reels are low and narrow enough that you no longer need a level wind moving back and forth across the face of the spool. I see these new reels as being sort of the baitcasting version of the spincast reel. They cast well. I can vouch for that.

FWIW I have built two custom rods for customers of mine recently. Because the line is coming into the butt guide at a very straight profile instead of from one side or the other, the ring size of the butt guide can be greatly reduced. There is no oncoming angle to be dealt with when using these reels. I was still concerned about guide height because I want to keep the line off the rod or the fisherman's hand if he holds the rod forward of the reel. Not usually but sometimes.

It is my feeling that more and more reel makers will be dumping their level wind mechanisms and moving to the Ardent type ceramic gathering ring. This will make it possible to use even fewer guide sizes, or all the same, and put the first guide closer to the reel. I plan to mess around with what can be done on custom rods using these reels but for now I think these reels may change the picture of how most builders were sizing and locating guides on baitcasting rods. They make things a lot easier and remove a lot of guesswork.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting Reel Concept
Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: December 17, 2009 01:36PM

The only ardent that doesnt have the level wind (that Ive seen) is the pitching/flipping reel,Because they dont have a level wind you'll notice how skinny the spool is.Limiting to how much line you can load (Im not sure what the yardage load is)...Thats is a technique specific reel....All thier other models have a level wind...
I dont see how eliminating the level wind could possibly keep level winding across a normal wide spool.

After reading the specs on it...It seems that little skinny spool actually will hold quite a bit of line, (I spoke too soon,haha)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2009 01:52PM by Walker_Nelson.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 17, 2009 03:36PM

US Reels offers a unique take on the level wind. They remove the paw/ line guide and replace it with a bar the osculates up and down to move the line across the spool. I have fished one and didn't really notice an advantage over similarly priced reels.

I've missed spooling mine through the line guide and it makes a significant difference in casting distance. I'm sure someone will come up with a solution that matches that performance.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2009 03:45PM

Penn used the corkscrew bar on some of their "Levelmatics" for many years. They may still be available.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: December 17, 2009 04:06PM

I think the Ardent you reference also has a 22# drag on it... you know it's going to be paired with 80# braid in a flip/pitch scenario...

Sounds like a rod eater to me.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2009 11:29AM

For the last 3 years or so many of the builders that have been playing around with micro guides have already down sized their stripper guides using 6,5, or 4mm guides and getting great results by doing so. It does not take a stationary reel guide to be able to do this.

Like Alex my concern is that with such a high drag setting, especially with some using braided lines there will be a lot of broken rods.
I have no problem telling clients that I will not warrantee a rod that has been broken using those reels or on reels were the drag has been locked down.
Here is a post from back in March
[rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster