I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule Wrap Finish
Posted by: Henry Dzielak (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 10:49AM

Not new to rod building. 99% of the rods I build are for Salt Water fishing. Have ventured into building a few fly rods. I understand the need to do a reinforcement wrap on some fly rod ferrules and kind of agree that it may help to keep the ferrule end from splitting. But I do not like the look when it is wrapped. Kind of messes up the flow of color on the wraps along the blank and sticks out like a sore thumb to me. The blank in question is a flat clear black finish. I have just about every brand and type of finish ther is and as everyone knows the of a high gloss. The ferrule wrap is already coated with FC. Need some thoughts as to knocking down the gloss on the wrap. Thinking of lightly sanding with 1000 grit to make it look closer to the blank color. Any ideas out there?
Thanks
Henry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule Wrap Finish
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 12:13PM

Fine grey Scotchbrite should do the trick. The fine sandpaper you have should work too but I find Scotchbrite easier to use on round surfaces. Just me maybe.

Another thought.......why not tint the epoxy with paint to match the blank color? Not sure but flat black paint might come out matte. Maybe. Not sure.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 07:46PM

If you use black thread, low build epoxy and scuuf carefully with Scothbrite type pad, the wraps should almost disappear. They are good insurance against cracking at the female side of the ferrule!

Posted by: Henry Dzielak (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 08:39PM

I have sanded the ferrule wrap with 1500 grit wet paper. Not quite the effect I want but real close. The finish is now matte but still much darker than the blank as I used black Gudebrod for the wrap. I have made some test wraps using white silk. Once cured I will either Scotch Pad or 1500 to see how it will come out. I have used white silk before on another fly rod ferrulle wrap ( no CP) and although the effect was somewhat transparent it was slightly mottled.(that blank was a Green gloss). That might not be an issue when dulling the FC when cured. I used gudebrod silk .I have seen bamboo blanks with clear wraps. Is the another white silk brand that works better?

Henry

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: December 18, 2009 04:42AM

Get some Gossamer white silk, this is what we use on bamboo. It's a very fine diameter silk and will virtually disappear when the finish is applied.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 10:13AM

If you don't want to use silk, try one of the gray tones instead of black, it will darken to match the blank almost perfectly and should be pretty transparent when you scuff it up with the sandpaper.

Terry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 04:13PM

Also with out CP all regular nylon threads will become transparent.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 04:47PM

iI do the clear "disappearing wraps using white silk thread. The Gossamer works best, but others will do. The key to getting complete clarity is applying the first coat of epoxy thinned to WATER consistancy. Not like syrup or oil, but like water! This will soak in very throughly and eliminate the micr bubbles that create the mottling or haze.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster