I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Over reamed cork
Posted by: Brandon Mosley (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 08:57PM

I ran into a dilemma on 2 of my latest builds. The blanks I was building on had large (by bass fishing standards) diameter butts. When reaming the cork on a St. Croix handle kit, I had to ream the cork so thin to get it to fit, that in the middle of the cork handle, the walls are thin. Thin enough that I can feel the cork flex when I grab the handle. There appears to be about a 1/4 inch void between a section in the middle of the handle and the blank in some areas. I feel certain after normal use, the handle will crack and begin to deteriorate.

I filled the void on one of the rods by the following method. I cut about a 3/4" beveled square out of the thinnest part of the handle. Much like you would if you were repairing a hole in sheetrock. Put as much of the expanding "foam in a can" used for insulation purposes as I could get in the void, and glued the beveled square back into place and sanded the handle with fine grit paper. It seems to be solid and to the untrained eye, will never be noticed.

My questions: This ever happen to you guys? Any tips on avoiding this over reaming problem with St. Croix handles? Any thoughs on how to fix the other handle on rod number 2?

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Over reamed cork
Posted by: Mike Tilbury (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 09:18PM

Try going to your local tack supply store, i.e. TSC or Farm and Fleet. Buy some 16 gauge needles, thin some epoxy with acetone. Then inject the epoxy through one of the imperfections in the cork. Make sure you go at a angle when putting the needle in.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 10:27PM

I`m not so sure about the thinning part of the epoxy. The acetone needs to evaporate and under the grip it will be sealed. Maybe heat the epoxy a little to thin.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mike Tilbury (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 10:37PM

I just did a repair on a rod a couple weeks ago with the thinning method.

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: December 17, 2009 11:21AM

It sounds to me like something happened in the reaming process. If you were gripping the cork too tightly in the middle while reaming, it may have reamed too much cork in that spot, or the hole is off center.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 17, 2009 11:58AM

Brandon,
You might try slicing the handle into sections and reaming each section. You can then reassemble the sections on the rod and just like your repair, with a little sanding you'll never know it was done.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 12:17PM

Brandon,
Although I think you have a good idea, I am not a fan of using insulation on the inside of the cork.
As with many things in life, the best thing to do is to start over.
Cut the grip off the blank, obtain a new handle ream carefully and glue the new handle in place.

I am also not a fan of putting any type thinner into any epoxy for thinning. Epoxy cures by chemical reaction. If you put a thinner or a solvent into the epoxy, the solvent all has to evaporate - BEFORE - the epoxy cures. This typically does not happen. The result is epoxy that has trapped solvent in the epoxy and it results in glue that is soft and spongy.

If you need to thin epoxy - simply heat it with a heat gun and it can be as thin as water.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: December 17, 2009 02:08PM

To expand on what Robert said in a situation like this you would probably be better off gluing individual rings on the blank and then finishing the handle on the blank, then you would know that each ring was properly bonded to the blank. Plus you can get oversize 1.5 inch rings for a situation like this where the blank is a large diameter, it probably wouldn’t hurt anything having the very butt of the grip swell out a little.

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.153.8.26.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 09:04PM

If you dont want to cut the handle off you could replace a couple rings where its soft using the method I believe Bill Boettcher described.It is posted somewhere I believe .Use the search at the top of page.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 01:02PM

I may be wrong but I think the article was written by : Bob Balcolmbe.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 04:15PM

Drill two 1/8"holes in the cork where the grip fits poorly, one hole at one end of the loose cork and another hole at the OTHER end of the loose cork area. Drill all the way to the blank, but dont damage it.

Now treat the grip JUST LIKE you would when filling the lower unit of a boat engine. Mix some 5min epoxy, get it in a syringe and insert the head of the syringe into the lower hole with the grip standing on end. Fill with epoxy until the epoxy runs out of the TOP hole, meaning the grip is FULL. Now tape off both holes and let set up for about 5 min. Remove tape, use some cork sanding dust (or just use cork filler) to mix with more epoxy and cover holes well. Sand down hole area after the cork mixed epoxy cures. Done..... and the grip wont ever give or move!

DR

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.153.8.45.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: December 18, 2009 08:50PM

Bill I think you are exactly right.My apoligies to you both.I now think DR has the best and easiest answer anyway.

Posted by: Joshua Dinklage (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2009 11:47AM

Drilling out the grip and then just reaming a little bit alleviates your reaming issues for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster