I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How would you answer this quetion
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: December 16, 2009 06:28PM

A customer walks into your shop and says. "Tell me why a custom built fly rod is better than the same off the shelf model?"
How would you answer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How would you answer this quetion
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 06:33PM

Put a rod in his hand to compare. Let him know that if he has special needs in the handle ( big or small hands or a disability) you can make the necessary adjustments.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.safepages.com)
Date: December 16, 2009 06:37PM

For the same reason a portrait of Elvis by Andrew Wyeth would be preferable to an anonymous painting of Elvis on black velvet.
Same subject, same purpose, different inherent value.
Now, if a rod is seen strictly as a way of harvesting fish, a gallon of rotenone or a crate of hand grenades would be a better choice.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 06:45PM

You can't get line tamer guides, grips to fit your hand, reel seats with windows that have inscriptions, feather inlays, grip inlays or the choice of guide styles and types on any off-the shelf rod including sage and winston. If a customer is interested in something unique designed just for him to fit his castying style, then he should consider a custom rod.

If he just wants to grab a stick and go fish, send him to the box store.

Terry

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 06:57PM

Just sent you an email with an attachment -

Print it and show it to him -

If that does not work use the last line of Terry's post above.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 07:05PM

If by "same model" they mean the same manufacturer's blank then the difference is "everything else".

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 07:14PM

Bill please send me the same list

Thanks
paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 07:24PM

I'd wager the guy already knows. After all he did walk into your shop. Not like you dragged him in from off the street.

I'd say most guys that are considering a custom anything are trying to rationalize the cost. They just need to be reassured that it is a smart move.

I have seen guys do custom work at extreme ends. Some will build whatever the customer asks for (even if they think it isn't suitable). Some will ask, listen, measure, and size up the individual and tell them what they need.

Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2009 08:10PM

1. Cuz you can get ceramics instead of snakes
2. Cuz the guides are put on correctly so they stay on the rod
3. Cuz you can size the reel seat specifically for his reel and make it out of almost anything
4. Cuz you can mock one up and have him try it and make adjustments for his casting style
5. Cuz you can put the stripper just where he needs it to be and maybe add a tamer
6. Cuz you can look up the CCS data for a bunch of blanks and come up with a model that's just right
7. Cuz the finished rod won't have a big ugly factory label; instead it will have his name neatly written on it (and hopefully won't say CUSTOM MADE FOR BLAH BLAH BLAH BY BLAH BLAH BLAH CUSTOM RODS)
8. Cuz it will be the rod he always wanted, he will have a blast fishing, and he will be the envy of his friends

Tom White
Rod & Reel Restoration

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 16, 2009 08:34PM

[www.tackleworks.org]

Posted by: Chris Carrigan (---.tmodns.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 08:44PM

Bill can i get a copy aswell.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 09:20PM

"Because its built by me for you.....not by some non caring outbuilder"

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 09:33PM

Bill,

I'd like to jump on the bandwagon and get a copy as well.

thanks,
jeremy

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 10:16PM

I have a rifle built to my specifications. It is constructed on a Remington 700 action. That is the point at which comparisons to a factory made rifle end.
The barrel was hand crafted by Dan Lilja of Idaho, who makes barrels for world champion shooters. It has 3 rifling grooves instead of the usual 6, and is hand lapped and polished. It was also fluted to reduce weight but to retain stiffness (stiffness contributes to accuracy).
The action was hand polished and blueprinted. The barrel was chambered in a caliber unavailable in commercial ammunition. (I have to make my own).
The trigger was replaces and a match trigger installed, and it requires 2.25 lbs of pressure to fire. The factory trigger requires 10 lbs of pressure, degrading accuracy.
The stock is kevlar and graphite, and because I have very long arms, the "length of pull" is longer than normal. The action is bedded into the stock for optimal accuracy.

The optics are made by Carl Zeiss.

Now, my son has a rifle that is "off the shelf" in a similar (not the same) caliber. The rifle, scope and ammo are available at any sporting goods store. He can get 1.5" groups at 100 yards (plenty good for deer or woodchucks. I paid $450 for his rifle/scope combination. He likes it fine.

I was a competitive shooter. My SCOPE cost $1,500. The rifle (custom made to my specific needs and wants) was another $3,000, and I supplied the action (I had to buy a Remington 700 action with a barrel...the barrel, trigger, etc, were all discarded), for $350. Total: $4,800, and I needed custom dies with which to make my own ammo.

The difference: 5 shots at 200 yards will group as a single hole just slightly larger than the bullet diameter. I feel GREAT when I shoot this rifle. I can tailor the ammo for specific game or target use. And I LOVE the envious looks I get when I bring it to the rifle range (even from the military snipers who love shooting it.

So...anything in the above you can use to answer the question?

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: December 16, 2009 10:16PM

Hi Bill, I'd also like a copy.

Thanks
Mike

Posted by: Jon Bial (209.34.157.---)
Date: December 17, 2009 11:47AM

How about... "Because Gary Loomis doesn't make rods, just blanks." :)

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 17, 2009 02:01PM

If you have to ask that question then you have not been fly fishing long enough to have to ask that question.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: December 17, 2009 02:16PM

The reason I ask is that I've got a spot a a fly show coming up next month. There is a local guide who will also be there, who in the past has not talked kindly of custom builders and is an "off the shelf" guy. I think part of that is because he is sponsored by one of the rod companies.
I found out what rod he likes, and it's a nice rod, i'm thinking of getting the same make and model of blank and doing the custom route on it. I think If i can show how an already good product can be improved then I may get a few new customers.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2009 02:57PM

I would make the case that just as in many sports or hobbies, commercially made goods suit the needs of 95% of those participating, but there will always be a small number of participants at the top end of the spectrum that desire, and demand, something different or perhaps better in some way. You might also bring up the point that there are plenty of anglers who have physical requirements that are not able to be met by commercially made rods - the guy with arthritis who can't hold onto the small grips offered on most commercially made rods, or the woman or child with very small hands or reach that can't easily utilize an off the rack rod. The key is to plainly state that you aren't building for the masses and are more than willing to concede that ground to the commercial makers, choosing instead to cater to that small group of dedicated anglers who either want or need something which they cannot obtain in a commercially made product.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster