I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Closing wraps to a decorative wrap
Posted by: Charles Angemeyer (---.syniverse.com)
Date: December 15, 2009 12:14PM

I just completed a decorative wrap and I have this question: What is the best way to prepare for the closing wraps? By closing wraps I mean the standard wraps at each end that close off a decorative wrap. The last time that I did a decorative wrap I had trouble packing these closing wrap threads. I applied CP to hold the underlying threads in place but the packing was then difficult. I never tried packing these end wraps without CP on the underlying thread because trying to pack thread on top of thread seems like it would be a problem. How do some of you do the closing wraps? Should I try putting finish on the underlying thread before applying the closing wraps? Thanks very much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Closing wraps to a decorative wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2009 12:49PM

Try this - start your tie-off wrap (which is what I think you're referring to) and once you have a dozen turns down and the decorative wrap "locked" start cutting just a few of the pattern threads on each revolution. Don't try to cut them all at one time. By the time you reach the end of the tie-off wrap you should have them all cut.

Now push the tie-off wrap thread back onto itself and wrap back towards the direction you started. You will end up with a double overwrap which greatly helps hide any gaps or lumps. Once finish has been applied, no one will ever know that your tie-of wrap is 2 layers thick. It'll look better than a single layer and no one but you will ever know.

Posted by: Walker_Nelson (69.198.19.---)
Date: December 15, 2009 01:48PM

I sort of approach it the same way as Tom mentioned...I find double wrapping definitely helps smooth away lumps and hides imperfections.
Once I add nice,tight trim bands (about a .25'' long) I cut the mess off both ends and then trim the tag ends off at an angle...CP it,then wrap going towards the trim bands because its easier pack (like a guide foot) ,then add a second wrap on top of that...done!
My method isnt the easiet or best, Im sure,but it works for me....But I always add two layers

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 15, 2009 02:00PM

It's kind of "cheating" but I sometimes apply a THIN coat of finish and do the tie off over it

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2009 07:41PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 15, 2009 02:16PM

even a nice coat of CP and wrap over that.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2009 02:34PM

Try this.
[visualweave.com]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 15, 2009 02:58PM

Ray thanks for saving me the time of searching for that, lol. The change of tension isn't neccesary, but you need ot cut the excess threads properly so the thread lays flat. It's one of those things that gets easier after you do it a couple of times.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 15, 2009 03:58PM

Ray, I was thinking of that but to lazy to look for it again.

Charles. save that site. A lot of good stuff there when you have questions. Most of the time when asked here I send that one, since Bill V is the thread king.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: December 16, 2009 09:35AM

I start the tie-off as Tom suggested, but I taper the cut off threads as I wrap down them. I've never needed a second layer to cover and the tapered wrap is clean and neat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster