I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

D2 finsish
Posted by: Mark Clooten (---.elevatedservers.net)
Date: December 15, 2009 11:20AM

Tnhe Dimond 2 site has several links to the magazine. So Tom is this the finish you use or endorse?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: D2 finsish
Posted by: robert smith (---.reverse.lstn.net)
Date: December 15, 2009 11:29AM

There does seem to be a certain "connection" between the finish and the magazine ..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2009 11:41AM

I do a lot of things for a lot of people. Gene Bullard wrote for the magazine and was a friend. His niece, Silvia, decided to include some links to RodMaker magazine on her Diamond II website. I didn’t engage in any sort of deal with her. She wanted to do it because Gene thought so highly of the magazine.

Look at the product descriptions for the 4 epoxy finishes in the Flex Coat catalog. I wrote those. Roger called one day and said he was having trouble coming up with descriptive yet concise text for the product descriptions. He asked me if I would do it for him. I was happy to do it and didn't require any sort of deal for anything between us.

Ralph O’Quinn has written for the magazine and presented at the Expo. I’ve helped him and Trondak on various things here and there. If I need help with something I know he’ll give it and vice versa.

Lynn Williams at Backlash Tools is making some products that I suggested and provided ideas for. I didn't require that he pay me.

I have launched no less than 2 different rod building organizations for other people in the pages of RodMaker. My help was asked and I gave it at no charge.

The list goes on and on. I’ve helped a great many people and their companies just because they asked me to. I’m not in bed with any particular person or company and have no reason to show favoritism to anybody or any product. So try not to read too much into the fact that a certain website has a link to RodMaker or that I did this or that person a favor. I do such things on a regular basis and always have.

For the record, my finish cabinet is filled with Diamond II, ThreadMaster, LS-Supreme, Flex Coat, Epoxy Coatings Co., Aftcote and others. I use them all and can get similar results from each. There's not a bad epoxy in the bunch. There are no bad epoxies, only bad "epoxiers."

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 15, 2009 03:58PM

Tom, it is sad that you had to write the above! I guess even custom rod building has it's "conspiracy theorists."

I also found an April post that "Robert Smith" was not a real name and was banned from the forum, is it still in effect?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2009 10:05PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2009 07:45PM

The rod building community in general are very helpful & caring folks! We share links, contacts, old catalogs, tips, tricks, etc. etc. etc.
Some have even on occasion provided blanks, components, tools, etc. either for free or "pay when you can" basis.

"Follow the Money" is a term I would NOT connect to many within our industry and one business or website doesn't have to "be in bed with" another in order to provide some endorcement.

Tom has provided me with a couple of articles from RodMaker to post on my website and never asked for anything in return. I have links to this forum and RodMaker on my website. We certainly don't know if either one of us snores! LOL

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2009 07:50PM by Raymond Adams.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 15, 2009 07:45PM

Even if he did have an interest in a product, SO WHAT!!!!!! You would have to go a LONG way to find a man with more principals Than Tom Kirkman

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: December 15, 2009 08:14PM

I was more interested in Tom\'s closing line.............. \"There are no bad epoxies, only bad epoxiers.\" That\'s a really good point!

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: December 15, 2009 09:19PM

Tom, I was sad to see you have to defend your actions on this board. But, I am glad you did. You do a first class job here and with the magazine also. My only wish is that I had gotten into the rod building a few years ago, so I had all the older copies!
You run a class forum, and magazine. Do not change a thing. As for the companies that are on this board, they speak for themselves. They all represent fine products, or they would not be on here.
For those who question things, read about Gene Bullard, and all that he did for the rod building world. Silvia is and should be proud of her uncle's work.
Tom, keep up the good work! Thanks for all you and these sponsors do!

Kyle Robinson

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2009 10:52PM

Tom and Kyle, very well said!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster