I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for a Matte Black Panfish blank
Posted by: Scott Nordlund (209.62.238.---)
Date: December 13, 2009 06:24PM

Looking ahead to a project for early next year...building a 7' panfish/crappie rod. Request is for a matte black blank with orange and white threadwork. I've seen several good examples of the thread colors in the photo pages, but I'm having trouble finding a blank in matte black, of all things. I'm sure I'll kick myself when I see the replies, but I'm going to ask anyway.

Thanks in advance for all answers!

-Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a Matte Black Panfish blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2009 06:32PM

Try St Croix, maybe Lamiglass.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 13, 2009 06:59PM

Look at the Rainshadow Popping blanks.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.81.249.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: December 13, 2009 07:12PM

Cabela's IM7 blanks are matte black and on sale presently

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: December 13, 2009 07:19PM

Check out Dan Craft
FRSIII7012 SIGNATURE III 7'0" 2PC 1WT MODERATE FAST ACTION FLY will be a real fun fight for panfish spinning rod Mudhole MHX has some ultralite 7 ft. trout panfish blanks my self I like using fly rod blanks for ultralites. I use AMTAK Black or green Matrix 2 wt fly blanks and add 12in. makes for a fon fight caught some hybrid sunfish I thought were bass at first. Batson 2 wt. fly blanks work well also but not matte black.

Mike
Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 13, 2009 07:30PM

There aren't many blanks left in matte black. Here's the only thing I am aware of ... Lamiglas IM6 Competitor Spinning ... CS84-ML.

IF you move to a matte charcoal (dark gray) there will be a huge number of options available. IMO, the dark gray does work well with any color combination - however, it isn't as sharp a contrast as an actual matte black.

Jim -

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.gdrpmi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2009 07:49PM

Scott,

I am currently building a Batson IP840. It is rated for 4-6 lb line and 1/32-3/16 oz. 7' 1 piece moderate fast . I am going to use it primarily for small stream trout but it will see use this spring for gills on their beds. Matte clear finish so it would go well with your choice of colors.

just my .02
Vic

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: December 13, 2009 10:12PM

SCOTT...I WOULD HAVE TO SECOND VICTOR ON THE IP840...I HAVE BUILT QUIT A FEW OVER THE YEARS FOR CUSTOMERS AND THEY HAVE REALLY LIKED THEM...WE HAVE THEM IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP AT MIDWEST ROD AND REEL

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2009 10:13PM by Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: December 13, 2009 10:17PM

Scott, I just picked up a rod kit from Mudhole, MHXSK-17. This kit builds on blank S841-MHX, which is a slate finish. But it is a very light 7' blank. It comes with a St Croix handle kit. Everything but the threads. 2-6 lb ultrelight. The whole kit was like about $63.00. I love the blank, can't wait to build it!
Batson has some excellent options also! Check out Midwest R&R to the left.
I know you wanted black, but this is not bad. I suppose you could paint it if you want, but I am not one to paint the blanks, I like them the color the come. JMO.
Kyle Robinson

Posted by: Gregg Austin (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 13, 2009 10:19PM

Can't beat the Rainshadow IP line of Blanks.....Built many of them myself and was the first thing that came to mind {IP840} when I read the post

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: December 13, 2009 10:30PM

Greg, I am also going to pick up the IP840 for a panfish blank. Scott, this blank weighs only 1.11oz. Rated for 4 to 6 line test. This blank is a mod-fast ul blank. Midwest # is RB48. Bill or Al will spec it out for you.
Kyle Robinson

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: December 14, 2009 12:22AM

You might want to give teh guys at Swampland a call. The CastAway matte black is a great, durable finish. They have may have access to something they don't normally list.

-----------------
AD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster