I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I searched the Sponcers but
Posted by: Tom Wicker (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 12, 2009 12:33PM

I'm looking for some plastic sleeves like a rod blank comes in and some maybe a tad bigger for offshore guides to be able to slide into them. I have a couple 3 year olds in the house and would like to better protect the Rods while their here. Anyone use this type protection?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I searched the Sponcers but
Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.241.---)
Date: December 12, 2009 12:42PM

The Rod blanks I get come packed in variousweights of pvc pipe some in plastic electric conduit. I use the PVC forrod tubes for all my rods. I prefer the 125 to 160PSI grades as it is quite a bit lighter than the schedule 40. You can get it at most plumbing supply stores. Lowe's and Home Depot may carry it also. It's fairly inexpensive $4 or $5 for a 10 ft joint.

Date: December 12, 2009 12:50PM

Bruce will I have to worry about it scuffing the rod?

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: December 12, 2009 01:08PM

Tom,
Buy or make a rod bag from a soft cloth. I use cotton flannel. The bag will eliminate any chance of "scuffing" the rod.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2009 01:15PM

There are packaging supply houses that carry the narrow plastic bags you mention. U-line is one source but you'll have to buy a 100 yard roll most likely.

Save the bags your blanks come in if you can. They can be reused.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2009 01:16PM

Tom I have just what you're looking for in 4'' widths in various lengths. The bags that blanks come in is usually 2 mils thick. The bags I have is 4 mil thick. Just give me a call to palce an order and for pricing.

Lance

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 12, 2009 01:31PM

Swampland and Mudhole both carry what you want.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 12, 2009 01:35PM

Spinning rods (with 25 and 30 butt guides) will not fit into a 4" sleeve. You will need to purchase 6" plastic. Casting rods and fly rods will fit into the smaller material.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 12, 2009 02:22PM

The bags I use come in a roll, cut off what you need. The roll came from Mudhole . It is a 3" wide roll and very heavy material. It will accommodate any rod I build.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2009 03:13PM

The reason I stock the 4'' bags is because a spinning rod with a size 30 guide DOES fit inside of a 4'' bag. I use them all the time when I build my production rods and when they're ready to be stored. They are also large enough to store stand up rods and also some trolling rods, except rods built with Aftco Big Foot guides.

Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2009 03:16PM by Swampland Tackle Lance Dupre.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2009 06:30PM

Tom,
Yes, U line is an excellent source for rolls of various widths poly bags.
I have picked up rolls of various widths to handle various types of rods. i.e. larger for spinning rods and smaller for bait casting rods.

Another thing that I picked up - which really makes a very nice job - is an Impulse sealer.

An impulse sealer is a machine which has a top plate and a bottom plate of fairly narrow width. The impulse part of the name means that one simply puts the end of the poly bag between the plated. The top plate is pushed down, a timed impulse of electric current is sent to the heating plates to heat and seal the bag in a few seconds.
The advantage of using an impulse sealer is that once the temp and time is dialed in for the bags being used, no further adjustment is required and you have a perfect seal on the end of the bag every time.

Using this bagging system is many many times better than any former system that I had used for protecting rods prior to shipment.
With these poly bags and impulse sealer, it takes about 1 minute to bag and seal a rod for shipment.
I normally have a label printed out - to go inside the bag with rod details.

Easy and simple.

[www.uline.com]

A source for u line products. Note the sealers as well as a wide variety of poly bag rolls.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: December 12, 2009 07:36PM

You don't have to worry about moisture in a sealed bag?

-----------------
AD

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2009 07:41PM

Alex,
I suppose you would if you had any source for moisture. When I put a rod in a bag, it is in a warm dry room, with a well cured finish.
In the summer time the room is air conditioned and thus low humidity.

I suppose that if one were bagging a rod in the heat of a high humid summer without air conditioning, one might have to worry a bit.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
If you really did have a worry, you could always drop in a bag of material to dry out any moisture that might happen to be trapped - as is the case for certain material shipments from certain locations in the world.

Date: December 13, 2009 12:04AM

Thanks everyone for the help. I do reuse my blank bag when smaller guides are used. But I have a couple of tuna rods and a jigging rod they just want cover.

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sub-97-152-161.myvzw.com)
Date: December 14, 2009 01:36AM

I use stick jackets on all my rods. I'm sure sponsors on the left carry them. They come in multiple sizes and colors work great and relatively cheap

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster