I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji TKTAG Guides
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 12, 2009 07:57AM

Has anyone used the sz 4 in a micro application. Just wondering how they worked out ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji TKTAG Guides
Posted by: Tim Robinson (---.ezsb2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 12, 2009 08:26AM

You and I must have been thinking the same thing. Are you thinking of running all 4's in these guides? I'm looking at using them on a 6' casting rod but unsure if i'm better of just using standard micro's as I can't remember getting too many tangles. On my spinning rod yes but not the baitcaster.
Tim

Date: December 12, 2009 08:32AM

yes. that is my exact thought

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 12, 2009 09:09AM

Guides exceptionally well thought out - many new features - Fuji has done good!

The first rod that went out the door came back in a week with one of the 10 fours, all on top, on an eight foot crank rod broken -

My question - "Can your tell me how this happened"

His answer - a fishing guide - " When I put that rod on the boat I noticed the guides were bent down - I straighteded them up - I only bent them back straight about four times before this one broke."

The things are tilted forward on purpose, considerably, intentional angle of repose at the request of builders using the micro guides. They are supposed to be that way to shed line loops - the guides are fine - Anglers Resourse had changes made to make a product better!

A custom builder can use the new stuff and the next job on the plate will be to tell fisherman how to properly use them or they will break every last one of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2009 12:59PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2009 10:31AM

Bill:

I asked that question a while ago and got no answer. That is why guides now are tilted forward, Does it work ???
Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 12, 2009 02:14PM

I did not say that is why all guides frames are tilted forward - these guides were built for a reason - to minimize and shed wind knots and shed limp line looping - the forward tilt - twin frame riser to frame of ring - Both are added and yes they help out.

Date: December 12, 2009 02:22PM

Sounds to me that fuji has a winner! What do you think the chances are that these wind up on the production micro rods? Fuji had to be thinking that when they released them. For these big rod companies they need something that is going to hold up and help prevent failures. They wont make it in the micro business if guides are popping off rods, they would lose their butts in the warranty department. Now all we need is a guide foot with a notch in it so it holds better without doing a locking wrap.

Date: December 12, 2009 04:55PM

Mitch look at the Amtaks - tunnel, spade and groove for holding just be sure to get finish high enough on riser to keep from allowing a spot for wind knots to hang. There is also another solution to the pull outs that is being tested at present.

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: December 13, 2009 11:27PM

Question for Bill Stevens, when you use the TKTAG # 4 micros on the casting rod, do you run the 4's all the way down to the butt guide? Or do you use a 6 and transition to the 4's? Also what tip do you use? I seem to find a tube size correct for the #4 tip...
Thanks

Kyle Robinson

Date: December 14, 2009 09:48AM

Qualifier: Baitcast reel with a stationary pawl guide during lure outbound - Most reels used by bass fishermen today fall in this category.

The largest guide ring on a bait casting all on top micro rod is the the pawl guide of the reel - think about this for a minute - if you can give me a good reason why not please do - all micro guides on the rod are the same size - on a casting rod can you define the "transition" you are describing.

Micro braced tip tops are now available to a tube size of 6.5.

Take any conventional baitcasting rod you own and ask someone to throw it for you - watch the line from the pawl guide to the size 12 ring butt guide. You may find why so many fishermen want the hook keepers removed from their rod - set up a micro rod all on top all same size and repeat the test. You will discover why a properly built micro rod provides advantages.

For a personal contact use the Contact Us Link at: [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: December 14, 2009 12:46PM

What about bass reels with synchronized levelwinds were the levelwind goes back and forth as the line is casting out? This is the case with most higher end casting reels. Would you use some transition guides in this case (maybe a 6, 5, and then 4's on out)?

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: December 15, 2009 10:50AM

Andrew Grant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about bass reels with synchronized levelwinds
> were the levelwind goes back and forth as the line
> is casting out? This is the case with most higher
> end casting reels. Would you use some transition
> guides in this case (maybe a 6, 5, and then 4's on
> out)?

It is? I have yet to see a modern bass reel that has that a moving levelwind on the cast.

Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.dyn.fttp.comporium.net)
Date: December 15, 2009 05:32PM

Mike, you had me second guessing myself so I had to go outside and check. My abu garcia 5601 C4 has a levelwind that goes back and forth when casting, and I would consider that a pretty typical reel. I have an Abu Revo STX coming, and I will check that too, but when I handled one I remember it having a synchronized levelwind as well (i think). For reels like this, would you need some transition guides before you get to the micro guides? I am pretty new to casting rods and reels, so I don't know if these reels are the exceptions.

Date: December 15, 2009 05:37PM

All Revo utilize a stationary pawl guide as do all of the high end Shimano and Abu Garcia bass reels. Same size guides used for all on top builds by many selling micro rods.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: December 16, 2009 08:50AM

As do all Diawa, Quantum, Pflueger, BPS, Okuma, and every other modern reel available. The Abu reel design that you are talking about is almost 60 years old now.

Posted by: Andrew Grant (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: December 16, 2009 12:37PM

Like I said, I'm new with these types of reels, so thanks Mike and Bill for the help. I will use all micros for my new rod with the Revo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster