I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A small curiosity (Brazil)
Posted by: Marco Antonio (---.cpe.vivax.com.br)
Date: December 10, 2009 07:07AM

Because builders rods Americans, do not use pieces of aluminum finishes in their rods? is due to the price, not like, or the U.S. market does not like these pieces?
Thanks

Marco Antonio

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A small curiosity (Brazil)
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 10, 2009 08:37AM

Only a small handful of rod builders actually make the parts and pieces they use on their rods. If they can't buy them already made, they don't use them.

For some it may be a weight issue, all the small trim parts you use aren't likely to weigh very much nor change anything noticeably.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2009 08:53AM

MArco, I think the biggest problem is the size of the parts. For a hobby builder that means he has to order the blank, determine where the handles will go, then measure the blank and reorder and pay shipping on the trim rings. Not to mention, they need a set of calipers that measure in mm's. For a "pro" builder, who knows the specs of teh blank because he's wrapping the same models over and over with pretty much the same grip lengths - it's an additional cost ($10-$20) that many people who want a basic rod do not want to pay.

That big bag of trim rings you sent to me is great, the problem I have is having everything sized properly to fit a particular blank, or reel seat. I have used a bunch of the winding checks though, but the fancy stuff you made doesn't match up with teh rods I've built lately.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.crscomm.com)
Date: December 10, 2009 09:25AM

Marco .... will you email me ...... you're email is hidden ...... been looking for some other ideas for butt caps and winding checks etc

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 10, 2009 12:02PM

Tom gave my reasons for not using them. I can only find a few trim rings and winding checks. Is I could find a source I certainly would use them. I don't have the equipment to make them myself. As Tom said, If I can't buy them , I don't use them.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: December 10, 2009 07:15PM

Thanks friend for the answers and understand why.

Billy I'm sorry

Richard, replied by e-mail request

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 11, 2009 10:26AM

I'd certainly buy them. It seems impossible to find nice winding checks in sizes large enough for salt water rods.

Posted by: Gregg Austin (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 11, 2009 03:42PM

Marco I would be interested in them....Could you email me some more info???? thank you

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2009 08:09AM

MArco, no need for apology, I am very appreciative. Just answerring your question as best I can.

Date: December 12, 2009 03:13PM

Thanks Billy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster